Follow me.......





Saturday, February 6, 2010

Officially snowed in.......

this is no wimpy snow-in.....
I am not talking about a few inches of snow.
I am talking....up to my knees, piled up so high on the railings of my deck that I can't see the trees, so much snow that it's filling up the trampoline making it look like I have an igloo in the back yard.....that's what I am talking about.

So, what do you do in Judiland when you are snowed in?
Figure out ways to get out.....

Last night, as the storm raged on, Carmen and I decided we needed a little night on the town. Honestly, it's not what we usually want to do on a Friday night. Typically, we are completely satisfied to get something to eat, maybe have a glass of wine or a martini, stop off at Starbucks for a pick-me-up, maybe get some reading material at Barnes and Noble and then head home for a quiet night before passing out on the couch. But, after fighting our way home through snarled traffic and slippy roads, our adrenaline must have been pumping or else we just get pretty jazzed up by snow storms.... Whatever the reason--we thought it would be enormus fun to put on our hats and scarves and gloves and boots and head out into the snow and wind...on foot.... to a few local places. Sort of like a winter-themed bar crawl....
Well, let's just say we came up with this idea after Carmen had a glass of scotch and I had a glass of wine....

Luckily, we live in a neighborhood that is very convenient to several little bars and restaurants. And, lucky for us, all of them sit on the same stretch of road. And, even luckier--those little bars and restaurants are some of our favorites.
So, we bundled up and off we went......as the snow and wind beat against our faces, we soldiered on.....trudging through the piles of white. I have to tell you that the scenery was so absolutely amazing that I found myself wondering why I never did this before!
As I braced myself against the weather, laughing at what we were actually doing....(come on....two 50-somethings out in a snowstorm in search of food and booze...that is kinda crazy...isn't it?)...I realized something.....I would have never done this 100+ pounds ago. First of all, I am not sure I would have had a coat that zippered or buttoned around me. And, second of all....well.....second of all....let's just say.....I wouldn't have done this 100+ pounds ago.
If it wasn't for my Lap band....I would have missed it all....
What a sad thought.
But...a happy ending.
It was a good night. We met up with some fun friends. We had a lot of laughs.
And, I discovered the best margarita in all the land is only a snowy mile from my door....

It's still snowing here in Judiland.
What should I do today?
Perhaps I can find the best martini in the all the land.
ONWARD!

5 comments:

Yana said...

Hi Judi - That sounds like lots of fun! I am looking forward to becoming more fun - one reason I decided to get the band is that I realized I wasn't doing some things because of my weight...it was either that I was scared that it couldn't handle me - canopy tour in Costa Rica - or I couldn't handle it - hiking in the Berkshires with friends. Congrats on enjoying life! Stay warm!

Eileen, Founder, Organizer, Mayor and Chief Cook And Bottle Washer of the Anger Management Girls. said...

I did the same thing. I love living in the city when we have a major snow storm.
Last night walked to the Elbow room and the whole neighborhood was there.
This morning I walked to Trader Joes and walked smack in the middle of Penn Ave on a Sat. afternoon without a car in sight.
Stay warm!

Jody V said...

What a wonderful time!! I live in the burbs...no walking for booze here unless it's the local market! We didn't get any snow.

Enjoy the weekend!

Jody

DB said...

Sounds like a great time. We got 18" here in Reading too - but I didn't have as much fun as you :(

Anonymous said...

How fun...onward dear friend = one for me!

L