Follow me.......





Monday, June 29, 2009

Mama don't sleep.......

until little girl gets home....

We're in the summer of excuses, excuses, excuses.
And, late nights.
I remember them all too well.
I was young then.
I was 17 going on 18.
Been there, done that.
Now I'm doing it again.
On the other end.
I'm 50. I need my sleep.

Payback is a bitch......

Where have you been...it's 2 am?
I wasn't watching the clock, I was having fun.
Have some mercy, I need my sleep!
Sorry! You didn't have to wait up!
What and go to bed worried sick?
I was fine.
I didn't know that. I thought you were dead somewhere. In a gutter.
You're being crazy!
No, I am being your mother.

Yes, that's my life right now.
Do me a favor...would ya?
In September when I'm bemoaning my empty nesting problem....could you remind me of this?

However, for right now....I'm dragging. But, there's no rest to be had.
We're taking a road trip. To a place where my daughter can stay out all night and I won't know that I have to wait up for her to get home.
Perhaps ignorance is bliss. When it happens.
But, until then, I'm the mother who is sitting on the couch waiting for my daughter to get home.
And, I'm tired.

Yes, I was once 17 going on 18.
It wasn't that long ago.


But, right now, I am a 50 year old mother heading to Freshman orientation wondering how in the hell I got here.....
And, I am tired.

I'll be back in a few days........

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I remember the same conversation. Wait till they throw it in your face that you don't know what time they come home while away at school. I told him, didn't matter, what matters is what goes on in my house. Somehow I always slept while he was away at school, just a lot of sleepless weekends.

Gerry said...

I already put the mother's curse on my kids...."I hope you have kids just like you!" They aren't bad kids just have no conception of time.

Jody V said...

I have the same conversations at my house Judi!!

Enjoy your road trip. Stay in the moment. I would LOVE to meet the woman who had LapBand. I can use a close by buddy too!!

Jody

Eileen, Founder, Organizer, Mayor and Chief Cook And Bottle Washer of the Anger Management Girls. said...

Better you than me..........thank God those days are over...

Anonymous said...

I've always said that their job the summer before they leave for school is to be so obnoxious and drive you crazy enough that you can't wait to push them out the door when it's time for them to leave. And, no, you won't know what she does at college but the rules still apply(with modifications) when they come home. Good luck, you will make it and still be on good terms with your girl when she leaves for school.
Viv