Follow me.......





Monday, June 16, 2008

Okay, today we are going to talk about shoes......

Confession: I bought 3 pair of shoes this weekend. Well, if you want the whole truth---I paid for 5 pair. Two of them went to my favorite shopping partner. Three are mine....all mine. But we are not going to talk about them. You'll just have to trust me that they are darling. I do not buy subpar shoes. Ever. I don't buy less than amazing shoes for myself and I don't buy them for others. Just ask my sweet friend Kate. I just bought her a pair that Toni referred to as "screaming Kate" shoes. Turquoise blue slides with a big leather flower and a lime green kitten heel. Luscious summer shoes. With a nice pedicure and a martini, life could not get any better. Listen,if I'm spending my hard earned cash on shoes, they will be worthy shoes. Case in point--cowboy boots for the Kenny Chesny concert for Toni. Not just any pair of cowboy boots. Pink Dingo boots. But, I'm not going to talk about those shoes either. Not Kate's shoes. Not Toni's shoes. Not my shoes. Not even these shoes.....

(photo by Professor H.....they are her shoes too)

No, I'm not going to talk about any of those shoes.
Don't worry...we are going to talk shoes. The title of this blog wasn't some genious marketing hook just to lure you into reading my blog. I really am going to talk about shoes. Deep shoe talk. Digging down into the souls of my shoes....
Here goes.....
The other day, I was talking to one of my Lapbanded friends who was celebrating a 150pound weight loss. Naturally, she was thrilled with her success and was praising her decision to have the procedure done. Trust me, hers was a very hard-won battle...filled with many personal trials and tribulations. But, she did it (woo-hoo Lauren!) despite the obstacles that stood in her way. She shed many tears and lost many nights of sleep over problems that seemed insurmountable at the time. She somehow did it all. Even in her darkest moments, she overcame her fears and slayed her dragons without losing site of her weight loss and health goals. She is clearly a healthier and happier woman today.....only 18 short months after her surgery. A deserving woman. Inspirational. A true hero So, I asked her, as we sipped our chai lattes...."What was the hardest part?" Now, remember, this is a woman who has been to hell and back in the past 18 months---her entire life fell apart, she experienced death, tragedy and severe turmoil. She lost things and people who were very dear to her and she was forced to start her life over amid all of this upheaval. Even in good circumstances, getting accustomed to your new Lapband and learning how to make it work for you can be daunting! So...given that, I suspected her answer would reflect on things such as perseverance, determination, single-mindedness, and purpose. But, I was wrong. She talked about shoes. "You know, when I was living as an obese woman, I bought great shoes. Those shoes got me through, they made me happy. They made me feel like I was okay. Now, 150 pounds later, all of those great shoes are too big. I can't even wear them." she confessed. I nodded in understanding. Then, she looked deep into my eyes and in a sad, low voice, she whispered "saying goodbye to great shoes is always the hardest part." So simple. Yet so profound. Yes, shoes. Shoes are life.

Everything I know, I learned from shoes. Shoes: the basis for all of life's lessons.

If the shoe fits, wear it
Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in his/her shoes
Value yourself. The only people who appreciate a doormat are people with dirty shoes
These boots were made for walking and that's just want they'll do
For want of a nail the shoe was lost
One shoe can change your life.....look at Cinderella
If a woman rebels against high-heeled shoes, she should take care to do it in a very smart hat
God will not tie my shoes without me
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes
It is better to wear out one's sheets than one's shoes
Always wear the finest shoes. People notice
I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street, I met a man who had no feet
Momma always says there's an awful lot you could tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going. Where they've been.
The shoe that fits one person pinches another
Every woman needs a pair of red shoes
No shoes. No shirt. No service.



Alot of think about.....isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judi,
It really does make you think....about shoes! Here is my favorite saying for shoes, “Is it time to go home yet? I keep clicking these damn shoes, but nothing happens”

Gerry 8)