Follow me.......





Thursday, March 10, 2011

Public service announcement.......

My beloved mother died at the age of 53.
She was a life long dieter.



What was my mother's final diet?
What diet did she begin in the Summer of 1972?
What diet helped her lose 83 pounds in less than one year?

It was a diet that consisted of 500 calories a day.
And....daily injections of pregnant women's urine (to obtain the hormones).


My mother was diagnosed with incurable intestinal cancer in April of 1973.
She died in May of 1973.
Leaving behind 3 little girls.
An entire family was torn to shreds by unbearable grief.
A grief that always lies under the surface.
As it will forever.


I know you want to lose weight.
And, I know the thrill of a new diet with lots of promises is exciting and enticing.
Really, I get it.
But, it's not a new diet.
My mother did it in 1972.
It killed her in 1973.

This is 2011.
We know better.

And, if we don't know better....I'm here to tell you....as my mother would want me to do.
You've got more to lose with the HCG Diet than pounds.
I should know.....




Sorry for the drama blog friends but when I heard about this on Good Morning America yesterday....I just knew I had to say something here on my blog.....

7 comments:

Alison said...

How awful for you all, I'm so sorry.
I really hope that that diet doesn't take off.

Jen said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

That diet has taken off like crazy, and I just don't get it. I mean, ANYONE who goes on a 500 cal/day diet can lose that kind of weight, without the weird hormones. Not that either way is healthy, but I wish people would quit acting like the hormones are some sort of miracle, when really all they're doing is poisoning themselves at the same time as starving themselves. Not a winning combo, IMO. :(

Jen said...

I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for speaking out about it!

Theresa said...

It is so sad the lengths we go to to lose weight. I'm sorry that your mother was a victim.

Heather said...

Wow! I will pass this along to my friend who just started this diet last week! Thank you for your story, and I am sorry that it took your mother.

Lee Ann said...

Judi, I'm really sorry you lost your mom at such a young age. You both missed out on so much together. I never heard of this diet but I found it intriguing (for lack of a better word) only because early pregnancy was the only time in my life I felt "normal" in my relationship with food. I wouldn't call it morning sickness but......it's just that I wasn't hungry all the time like I usually am. During that time, I just got hungry at meal times and forgot about food the rest of the time. For me that was Really Strange and I did lose 17 pounds in my first pregnancy (and then gained a LOT). It seems bizarre to me that this diet recommends that people eat such a unhealthy number of calories...Again, I'm sorry you lost your mother, ((((hugs)))).

Anonymous said...

Dear God the things we do!

L