Follow me.......





Monday, August 17, 2009

You know you've made it when you say......

YUCK!



Yesterday morning as I was getting ready to tackle my huge zucchini, I switched on the TV and found myself face-to-face with a man eating a hamburger and onion rings. It was one of those travel/food shows that features "the best" of something. The hamburger was huge...dripping with cheese, mayo, onions, ketchup, lettuce and tomato. The onion rings looked crisp and savory. As he ate, he declared it to be the finest burger and onion rings this side of the Mississippi. From looking at his face as he ate---he had me convinced.

This was a moment to savour. But...not for the reason you may think.

What once would have sent me into a frenzy to immediately go out and get myself a hamburger and onion rings instead repelled me. I couldn't imagine biting into that hamburger if my life depended on it! Chalk it up to the fact that my Lapband couldn't handle it or blame on my desire to maintain my weight or consider it a hard-won battle. Whatever it was....I was once again reminded of the many changes in my life these past 2 years. Changes as big as losing 100 pounds and as amazing as revolting against foods that once brought me to the brink of delirium! The mere fact that I found myself saying yuck instead of bolting to the door in search of that hamburger and onion rings is---as far as I am concerned---nothing short of a miracle.
I switched the channel and returned to my zucchini wrangling....with a thankful smile.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Ooh, that must have been a powerful moment.

I was banded on aug 6th, and am doing liquids so when you described the scene I went through a similar thing, but truth be told, I definitely started at delirium and mouth watering.

Then, as I read about why you were repelled I was thinking, "My God, yes, it is repulsive because we are all trying to change and why should any one be in thrall to a freaking hamburger!"

So thanks for the head adjustment ;-)

Anonymous said...

Good for you...I hate the commercials as they do send me into a frenzy. One thing I've lost the taste of since banded is sweetner with my coffee. Yes, I know no caffeine I have about three ozs with a little cream and NO sweetner. Go figure!

Kathy said...

Ok, now I know I need a fill. I can eat half a hamburger without a hitch. I couldn't used to but now I can. Oh will I ever have restriction again??