Follow me.......





Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Getting the hang of it.....

...this 50 thing....

just like riding a bike....

But, the truth of the matter is....you have to be wearing the right shoes. You can't ride a bike in stihlettos! Well, I guess you could. But, I wouldn't suggest it...

Just like most things in life, you really do have to be prepared. Shoes are only part of the equasion.

Being prepared is what I think got me this far....all the way to my 5th day of being 50. You see, I don't think I could have done it 90 pounds ago. When I decided to have Lapband surgery--I really wasn't thinking about today. Honestly. Trust me, I am not that planful of a person. I did not get my Lapband so that I could turn 50 being 90 pounds lighter. I did it for many reasons....but today wasn't one of them. It just worked out that way. Being 50 and well under 200 pounds is definitely a gift....an unexpected, wonderful one at that.

My sister Denise found it pretty funny when I told her what I really wanted to do for my birthday, the plans I had. But, I think my list sums me up just perfectly. Or, to be more exact--it sums the real ME up perfectly. The ME I dare to be.
Here they are.....
*get my teeth whitened
*smoke a joint
*go to a bread baking class at Enrico Biscotti
I did one of them and the other two are in the works.
What would I have wanted 90 pounds ago? I'm pretty sure I know....
*smoke a joint
*lose 100 pounds
I would have never thought about my teeth and I would have never even considered a bread baking class---too many calories and too many people who would look at me thinking "that fat girl doesn't need to learn how to bake bread". But, I'll be honest, I always wanted to smoke a joint....on my 50th birthday.

I keep trying to think what this time in my life would have been like if I didn't get my Lapband and lose this weight. It's not a pretty picture I'm conjuring up in my head. Oh, I'm sure I would have embarked on a diet sometime before I turned 50. But, just like most of the diets I put myself on for so many years--I would have spent a lot of cash and maybe lost a few pounds. And, I probably would have put myself on an exercise regimen. But, just like the rest of my good exercise intentions--I would have ended up with some really cute 3X work out wear and an expensive gym membership.

Yes, arriving at 50 as unhappy as I was about my weight would not have been a good thing. Not at all. Would I ever have got the hang of 50....90 pounds ago?
It would have been like riding a bike in stihlettos. With teeth that needed whitening and a craving for bread and the munchies....

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm up for bread baking and you know how I feel about the other two. You're up bright & early on this no-school-snow-ice day. How could you walk in this mess outside? Your determination is admirable.

Anonymous said...

Judi, I'm falling off the kitchen stool laughing. I have this picture in my head . . . you walking aroung in stilletos, a big turkey leg in one hand, a J in the other, saying "Where's that dang Biscotti recipe?" And then, of course, laughing your buzzin' ass off.

Anonymous said...

Judi, I'm falling off the kitchen stool laughing. I have this picture in my head . . . you walking aroung in stilletos, a big turkey leg in one hand, a J in the other, saying "Where's that dang Biscotti recipe?" And then, of course, laughing your buzzin' ass off.

Eileen, Founder, Organizer, Mayor and Chief Cook And Bottle Washer of the Anger Management Girls. said...

Ok, you've been tagged.
Just post your 4th picture in your 4th folder and forward to 4 people.
I also tagged Cathy and Jody.
Sorry guys!