Follow me.......





Sunday, March 30, 2014

Going out like a chicken......


You know that saying.....March comes in like a lion, goes out like a lamb.  Or, is it visa versa?
Well, whatever.
I'm taking out March with a chicken.....
As in--that's what is on the menu here in Judiland on this last Sunday of March.
And, this chicken recipe is so lovely that I just knew I had to tell you about it.
It's been taste tested many times--by friends and family alike.  And, its always met with wild applause and smacking lips.  Like I said....it's lovely.  
My original plan was to cook this recipe as the sun was streaming through the windows as I watched soft breezes ripple through the trees in my yard.  
When I was putting today's dinner together in my head, I saw it as a  Celebrate Spring meal.
As the plan was coming together and I was envisioning a beautiful Spring Sunday with my pretty Spring table cloth a top the table with vases of tulips as the centerpieces, it was so easy to decide on that chicken recipe.  It's just such a  Spring Chicken.  As the scene progressed in my mind, I decided that the chicken's fresh and lively flavors demanded accompaniments that were just as Spring inspired.   
With that thought in mind, I took to my menu diary and came up with the perfect plan---I'd make a salad with a wonderful vinaigrette that I've made many times,   an absolutely delish Spring Peas with Dates and Walnuts recipe and this Goat Cheese risotto that I find absolutely heavenly.   To end the meal on a sweet Spring note, I decided on picking up some pistachio gelato.  With a bottle of one of my favorite white wines---a fresh and frisky Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc--I just knew this was going to be the perfect Spring meal.  
So, imagine my surprise when I was awaken this morning by a blustery burst of wind and snow pouncing on my window pane.  As I fumbled and bumbled out into the hallway, I was stricken by this cruel twist of fate.  This was no way to venture out on what I had imagined as a Spring trip to the market--wearing my cropped boy friend jeans, a quarter-length sleeved tee with a light knit poncho, a sweet straw fedora and a pair of jaunty Bernie Mev's with no socks.  How could I buy tulips on a day that was so winter-like?
As I sipped my new favorite morning tea, I gazed out into the cold, dark, windy, snowy landscape and  found comfort in the fact that I bought Toni a fun, girly ice scraper yesterday for the new car she just got this weekend.  I smiled at the memory of me slipping it into the trunk as a joke....with a little note telling her that it would come in handy next winter.
As I pulled out the Spring dishes I had planned on using, I was woeful---wondering if I should just wait until another Sunday to do the Spring dinner thing.  For a fleeting moment, I thought to myself--maybe I should just make chili or something very winter-like. 
No. Judi. 
No. No. No.
It's a Spring Sunday.
And, I'm making chicken. 

But I'm putting on boots and my winter coat. 





No comments: