Follow me.......





Thursday, November 15, 2012

Wake Up Call from a friend......

My Lapband called with some news.....



STOP THE GOBBLING!





  • First, the good news----in the olden days (before I got my beloved Lapband), if I had a doctor's appointment, I would literally fast for 24 hours---no, not because of the bloodwork---but because of THE SCALE!  I dreaded the weigh-in.  I dreaded seeing that number staring me in the face.  I dreaded the look on the nurses's face.  I dreaded the look on the doctor's face. I was *this close* to positive that they were giggling about me in the break room and then went home and told their families at the dinner table about this fat woman who came into the office.  I guess I figured if I fasted I would magically lose like 50 pounds.   Considering that never happened, you would think I would have gotten the message and just stopped my ridiculous behavior.  But, I never did.  These days, I look forward to seeing the scale when I go to the doctor's office.  Evidently, I don't even think about what I am eating for the 24 hours leading up to a doctor's appointment.  I suppose that explains why I ate hot sausage smothered in onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and peppers covered in provolone cheese and melted to a gooooey perfection the night before my 5 year Lapband appointment without giving it a thought!  Yes, it was very yummy!
  • Now, for the not-so-good news---clearly my very high-techy scale at home is trying to get on my good side because it's been telling me that I weigh *THIS* amount.   When in reality, I don't.  I weigh *THAT* much.  *THAT* much equates to 6 pounds over *THIS* amount!  My scale has been leading me astray...giving me false information!!!   Bad scale!
  • Yet, there remains good news---Even in light of the fact that I weigh 6 pounds more than I have going around thinking that I weigh, I do not have a feeling dread or even a feeling of failure.  In the olden days, if the doctor's scale would have reported such news one week before the biggest foodie 6 weeks of the year--there's no telling what I would have done (more than likely I would have headed to a fast food restaurant to drown my sorrows....yeah I would have shown that scale a thing or 2!).  Naturally, I wasn't thrilled with the news.  But, instead of stomping my feet or taking an ax to the scale or slamming the nurse against the wall, I took it like a champ.   When I talked to the PA about it---I owned those 6 pounds.  In fact, I admitted to her that I already knew exactly where they came from (no, I didn't blame alien beings or severe constipation....as I might have in the olden days).  I knew that I have been doing a little bit too much mindless snacking, celebratory eating and not planning well enough for when I eat in restaurants.    Plus, I admitted that there were times that I purposfully overate very band friendly foods (aka foods that slip righ through that band with no problem whatsoever....).  I confessed it all....and then some.   Impressed by my candor and my knowledge of my own behavior, she didn't lecture me or even offer advice.  Instead, she congratulated me on my long-term success and noted that at 5 years out, there is some expectation that there will be some weight gain.  She also told me that she strongly believes that the secret to my sucess has been the fact that I continue to come in for my appoinments and fully participate in the research study that they have going on.   But, most importantly, she told me that the key to anyone's long-term success with any weight loss surgery is to make it a part of your life.    Although I wholly agree with all of her statements---I feel strongly that my sucess with my band can be 75% contributed to the fact that I did make my Lapband a part of my life.  A very big part of my life.  It's like a part of my family---if you invite me to dinner, you invite my Lapband too, if you know me, you know my Lapband....and yadda, yadda, yadda.   I know myself well enough to recognize that if I didn't embrace this tool that I was given and I didn't truly consider it a giant gift then I would have found a zillion ways around it.  Believe me when I say that I am true blue when I make a commitment....for better or worse, richer or poorer.  I will make anything work if I dedicate myself to it.  My Lapband is my dear, dear friend, my partner in my journey and my support when I need it.... and I treat it as such.  These 6 pounds are just a blip in the road....as we find in any relationship!  It's a wake-up call from a friend to tell me that I'm still a great friend but maybe I could do just a wee little bit more to be a better friend.  

Thank you dear friend, I appreciated the call! 

2 comments:

Lap Band Gal said...

Great post! :)

Congrats on 5 years!

Mar's kids said...

You ROCK. And I really do appreciate your view as a long-term bandster (you'll see why in an upcoming post)

Enjoy the journey!