Follow me.......





Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sick of talking TURKEY?

Yeah, me too.
Let's go visit the cows. 
Let me introduce you to this little number......
This jar is a bit pricey but for something that's going to save my sanity, it's worth it!



I've been pulling out all the stops with the Thanksgiving menu planning.....so much so that I have been avoiding the other meals that have to happen over the next week or so.
As my house begins to fill up.....that means that there's more mouths to feed and  more meals to plan.
I've been so focused on the traditional foods that I haven't given a thought to much else.
These are the moments that I am happy that I am not so much of a food snob that I won't open a jar and make a meal from it.
The key to not being outted for serving something out of a jar  is to make sure that whatever is in that jar is something you would feel good about serving. If YOU don't like it, you can't expect your guests to like it!
 Oh, and yes, hide the jar.  

I can't remember if I told you about this product or not.  If I haven't---I apologize for keeping this secret to myself.  If I did---it's worth telling you again.
This braising base is sensational.
Yes, it's a little bit pricey.  However, during times like this---when a major cooking holiday is only days away and you have to make lots of meals for lots of people....cost needs to take a back seat to your sanity!
Let me start by saying a few things.....
First of all....it makes the house smell incredible.  Which is always good.
Secondly, with a little bit of ingenuity, you can make this into a one pot meal that's easy and satisfying....for everyone.  It's  super comfort food and goes really well with football!!!
And, most importantly---it will make you look like the star that you are!!!

Here's what I do......I do not follow the jar recipe exactly.....I stretch it out a bit.....I'm such an economical gal....aren't I?

CROCK POT Belgian Beer and Onion Beef and Veggies
  • 4-5 lbs beef chuck 
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
  • 1 jar Belgian beer and onion braising base
  • 1 small can of beef broth 
Veggies that I add:
-1 bag of frozen pearl onions
-4 potatoes--cut in med size pieces
-2 stocks of celery--cut in med size pieces
-1/2 bag of baby carrots (raw)

Season beef with salt and pepper. In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil until just smoking. Brown the beef on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the meat to a slow cooker, add veggies, broth and the braising base. Cover and cook on MED about 8 hours.... until the meat and veggies are fork-tender. You can shred the beef or cut it up. 



 We can resume talking turkey tomorrow.....

1 comment:

Jody V said...

This is one of my absolute favs!