Follow me.......





Thursday, May 2, 2013

A whirlwind romance.......

with my husband and my hometown......


As I think I've told you a zillion times---my husband works a lot.
A lot. A lot.  
If he's not on the road, he's holed up at his office or attached to his phone or his computer.
When he's not doing any of those things, he is usually consumed by whatever is going on in his work life.
Sometimes I have to get swept up into his work world.....as the good wife and partner.....my schedule can get swamped with going to  his work dinners and events and all that stuff that sounds like a good time but in reality are not always all that fun.   Sometimes the best part of going is planning what I am going to wear! 
I have come to know and understand that Carmen's career does not have much down time......it never has. 
It definitely has gotten easier now that the kids are raised and on their own (and, now that I am more mature....) 
And, if truth be told--I have gotten used to it over and past 31 years.
It's not such a big thing anymore.  
I'm lucky to have wonderful family and fun, spectacular girlfriends....

I'm not complaining. 
I'm just sayin'.......

As the years have went on, we have fallen into this pattern that when Carmen has down time and we are together---it's all play and no work.
He doesn't want to hear about or deal with anything.   
His only interest is breaking away from his daily trials and tribulations.  
He wants to enjoy our time together, have some fun and just reap the benefits of his toil.  
What this means is that I take care of all the house stuff and the not-so-fun-stuff. 
I'm probably better at that stuff than him anyway......I problem solve pretty well. 
Case in point--I have learned that you can pay people to do things around the house.  Instead of fretting or nagging, I do that.   I'm still not crazy about the not-so-fun stuff and I do my share of playing the martyr on occasion when life gets too overwhelming.  And, I do expect gifts....
So, the way I look at it,  I'm not a complete door mat. 
For the most part, I happily go along with all the dinners out, the nights on the town, the little trips, meeting up for drinks, yadda, yadda, yadda.....
 It's taken years for me to "get it" but now that I do.....I recognize that in some ways, we both win. 
He needs the time to unwind and I need the time to actually feel like I am married.  

Anyway.....
At the moment, Carmen is mid-way through a pretty long stint of travel for a pretty prestigious project that he was selected for.   I won't go into the details of it but what I will say is that he deserved it.  And, he is thrilled with the assignment.    He's been zig-zagging up and down the East Coast....stopping in town for smidgens of time.
A week or so ago, I eeked out a bit of time and met him at the airport to share a quick drink while he was on a layover.   It was probably one of the nicest, most relaxed times we have had a very long time.
Why?  Because he was so relaxed and not attached to his phone.
And, I think I missed him more than usual.  
Then, this past weekend, he blew into town for about 36 hours.
And, what a lovely 36 hours it was.
We enjoyed our beautiful city and a few of our favorite places as if we were tourists......
Looking towards the stadiums from Mt. Washington.....

Looking at the city scape from Mt. Washington


Our favorite drinks and lunch with our fun little nephew at our favorite bar.....


Strolling at one our favorite Pittsburgh experiences.....the Strip!

Sometimes we have to put aside the rigors and the stresses and the business of our lives to enjoy each other and to celebrate the blessings of the place we call home....







 

2 comments:

Jody V said...

What a beautiful post!

~Miss Lorie~ said...

How wonderful!