Follow me.......





Saturday, May 2, 2009

The power of a SMILE......

and this turquoise blue jacket....


I anguished for hours about buying this jacket. Yet, in the end, it was the catalyst for a wonderful Friday....

It was between this one and the red one in the same style. I am a red person. I buy red. When I saw it in the catalog, I fell in love with the style. When I decided I would use my gift card to buy it--the red one was on my radar.

And, so, on my latest visit to Coldwater Creek--with my coupon and my gift card in hand--I picked up the red one, a cute little white shell for underneath and headed to the check out counter. That's when I ran into my favorite sales lady. "Didn't you see the turquoise one?" she asked. "Yeah, I guess so," I told her. Before I knew it, she had it in her hand showing it to me--cooing over how beautiful it was. "Yes, that's very pretty but I'm a red girl" I said. "Oh, but this would look so great on you," she said holding it against me. "Yeah, but I think I would have more things to coordinate with the red," I explained. "Anything you could wear with red, you could wear with this! Trust me, this is YOUR jacket!" she said with great enthusiasm. "Oh, I'm not sure," I told her. "The red one is nice but look at this one! This is a gorgeous color and it would look amazing on you!" she continued. I had to agree--it was a very nice color. But, I am a red girl. And, I was already imagining wearing it with pair of a black capris and red strappy sandals. But, she was so thrilled with the turquoise jacket that I felt like I would personally offend her if I chose the red one. So, I took the easy way out--I had a few more stops to make so I asked her to hold both of them and I would be back. And, that's just what I did.

A few hours later, I returned--with Toni, my best-dressed shopping partner in tow. I presented her with my dilema. She eyed them up for a moment--commenting that the turquoise was definitely a "springier color". But, she could see my desire for the red one. "Get them both," she advised. Deep in my heart--I knew that would be her answer. After all--she wasn't paying for them and she was a complete wimp when it came to making decisions. And, if truth be told--she loves clothes so much, she becomes personally and emotionally attached to them. In her love for clothes, she humanizes them and gives them feelings. She feels bad for the clothes left behind....

Alright, alright....I caved. Yes, I bought both. I followed the advice of a 17-year-old fashionista who can't make a decision on what to order off a menu and who just last week whimpered when she was forced to put her winter clothes into storage knowing she would miss them and worried they would miss her.

I bought the red one and the turquoise one.
And, it turned out to be one of my best decisions yet....

Yesterday, faced with an unusually busy day and pouring down rain, I decided to wear my new turquoise jacket. Since I don't typically wear that color--it was a nice change in the mirror--starting my day off with a smile. From there--it captured the attention of the receptionist where I went for my first appointment of the day-- "oooh, what a great jacket!" she cherped. Again, I smiled. After that, the woman in the elevator--"great jacket!" she commented with a grin. Again, I smiled. Stopping for my chai latte with an energy shot--three people in line commented on my jacket. And, I smiled. When I finally got up to order my drink--the barista behind the counter called over to me--"that color looks great on you!". I smiled. Then, as I was pumping gas--the gentleman beside me commented "great jacket!" Again, I smiled. After that--it was comment after comment about my jacket and my ability to wear--turquoise.
After a full day, it was on to Happy Hour at a little Mexican place (a Happy Hour lasted well beyond Happy Hour) to celebrate a special birthday for one of my spirited friends---Angela. Not only did I get compliments all around for my jacket...I also got lots of bravado for my weight loss.
And, yes, I SMILED.

I was blessed with a day filled with lots of people who made me smile. From strangers to friends.

Smiling is powerful. Please give them.




May your weekend be filled with SMILES.....

So, what's on your agenda today?
I'm headed on a prom gown road trip. We're driving 2 hours to make sure there's no one else with the same great taste....
Sounds expensive.....doesn't it?
Yet, I'm smiling.....

2 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great day you had. I am glad you bought the turquiose jacket. The saleslady knew what she was talking about didn't she? I don't have any plans for today other than doing a little planting. Hope your shopping goes well.

Eileen, Founder, Organizer, Mayor and Chief Cook And Bottle Washer of the Anger Management Girls. said...

Usually the things I agonize over buying end up being my favorites.

Today I'm planting (UGH) then Pens game then off to the Gras to drink a "few" Mint Julips" and watch Kentucky Derby.