Follow me.......





Monday, May 25, 2009

A day to give thanks......

And, to remember........May your day be filled with what truly matters in life..... family, friends, love and peace.
I hope that you can take the time to realize the blessings we were all given.
And, today....more than any other Memorial Day in my life--I realize what part my own father played in keeping our country safe. As we navigate the reams of paperwork set before us and seek out assistance with my father's care, we are gladdened by the fact that his service to our country is recognized as he enters into this phase of his life. As a World War II veteran, he is eligible to receive assistance to provide for the care that he needs to keep him safe--an appreciative thank you for his role in keeping his country safe. That feels so right at a time in my life when nothing else does. And, it opens my eyes to what the holiday is all about. Yes, there is that part of me that will always consider it a day of grilling and flag waving and pulling out the white shoes. And, it will always be the day that I lost my mother. But, here in my 5oth year, I can stand up and declare that I truly feel that spirit of thanksgiving that goes along with being a proud American.

Am I getting sappy in my old age or what?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs for you today.

Lucy

Kathy said...

Amen to that. Beautifully put Judi.