Follow me.......





Thursday, September 20, 2012

Countdown to EMPTY NEST Round 2.......

For the past 3 years, my empty nest was a result of having 2 children in college---collegeland and Phdland.   My sorority girl would come home for summers, my Phd boy would not---he would venture home for random weekends and holidays.   So, off and on, my nest would fill and then go empty again and then partially fill and then fully fill and so on and so on.  My home was their home.....for all intents and purposes.  
Then, two months ago, my son the doctor returned home after finishing up all of his scholarly work to await the next step on his journey.  My nest was fully filled---two kids and all of their stuff and all of their comings and goings.  Once again, life was bustling.  Then, my sorority girl headed back to school--leaving the house partially filled again.
 Looking back---it's all a bit blurry to me right now.....
 
To be honest---having my son home full time after 9 years of not having him home full time (due to schooling) has been a true joy.  And I'm not just saying that because it's his birthday today. 
But, that's all going to change.....permanently. 
Remember that little secret mission road trip I took last weekend?
Well, it was a house hunting trip with my son the doctor.
So, as of October 5, my house will no longer be his permanent address.
Although it will always be his home.  
After years and years of hard work and dedication, he is embarking on his life's work.
We are so very very proud of him for what's done...but mostly for who he has become.
And, I'm not just saying that because it's his birthday today.
Although I've always known that the type of work that he does would probably not make it easy for him to stay in Pittsburgh, I had always secretly held out hope that somehow, someway, that would change.
But, it didn't.
Fortunately, the choice that he made is a little bit closer to home than where he could have gone.
So, for that, I am thankful.

Now, I'm going to let you in on a little secret---if I thought these past few weeks were crazy busy, I will probably drop over from exhaustion with what's got to happen over the next few weeks.....

But, for now, I am just going to enjoy this special day with the smart, funny and cute kid who changed my life 27 years ago......






2 comments:

Mar's kids said...

Happy Birthday Judi'sSonTheDoctor!! I can hear your buttons bursting, my dear - you should be so proud.

Jody V said...

Just catching up on posts and I knew it was Vince! Happy 27th Birthday Vince! Congrats on all your achievements!

Jody