Follow me.......





Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Band talk.......


Our WELCOME FALL Happy Hour this past Saturday night......
 Although I mention my Lapband often, I have not devoted an entire blog post to my band for quite some time.  Probably because it's become as much a part of me as my left arm.  And, you know, who blogs about their left arm all the time? I mean....maybe one or two left arm posts but that's about it!
We all know I have a left arm.... right?

This fact struck me the other day when I mentioned something about blogging as it related to my own blog to a colleague and he inquired what my blog was about.   My immediate answer was "Lapband Life".  He looked at me as if I had two heads.  So, I explained it a little further by telling him that 5 years ago, I got a Lapband and I started blogging at that time. 
His response: "So, you have found enough to say everyday for 5 years about your Lapband?" 
Eh......well......yes....sorta. 
I blog about my kids, my job, fashion, food, socializing, random thoughts, restaurants, traveling, decorating---and all those things I do everyday.....the things that comprise my life while  living with my Lapband. 
So, yeah, if I put it in that context, I have found enough to say everyday for 5 years about my Lapband.
These days, my Lapband is not news to anyone.
My weight loss isn't news either.
There's lots of people in my life these days who didn't even know me when I was 115 pounds heavier.
And, there are others in my life that confess that they even forgot that I weighed that much!

However, meet me for the first time and in the first 30 minutes, I might tell you about it. 
If I don't tell you about my Lapband, I'll tell you about my kids.
If I don't tell you about my Lapband or my kids, I might tell you about a new restaurant or a recipe or a menu or my father or about my love of martinis and wine....
Essentially, my blog is about my Lapband Life
A life that has been changed by a small silicone band filled with saline.
A life that has been taken up a notch and brought to life simply by having it inserted into my body.
You see--before I had my Lapband---even though I loved cooking and fashion and decorating and going out and all those same things I love today---I would sort of hide those things for fear that people would judge me--"look at that fat girl--she's always eating, no wonder she is so fat", "look at that fat girl, if she loved fashion so much, she would lose weight so she would look good", "look at that fat girl, if she didn't spend so much time decorating her house, she would have time to exercise". 
Now, I feel safe that I can share my love of all things with the world without fear of being judged. 
I know, I know....how silly of me.
I admit it....with all of my heart and soul....those words I shared with you are true. 
I lived in fear of being judged in everything by the size of my body.
Sure, I admit it--with the weight loss also came a brand new sense of confidence that I wish I would have had 115 pounds ago.  Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda. 

So,  yes, I am not talking daily about getting stuck or PBing or what to eat or what not to eat or losing weight or getting enough protein or any of those things that I talked about early on in my Lapband Life.  Although all of those things still exist in my world--they are as common as brushing my teeth and buying new shoes. 
(and, btw.....I had a major shoe shopping haul this past weekend.....and I mean MAJOR.)






3 comments:

speck said...

I love reading your blog. And I think it's great that after five years you are still around! A lot of people don't do that so I appreciate it.

Sandra

Darlin1 said...

I'm with you.....Amen sista!

XO

Mar's kids said...

I want to be you when I grow up, so you can't quit blogging about your lapband life!!