Follow me.......





Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hello October, Hello PAIN!





A few weeks back when I decided to embark on changing my life through running, I figured I would pick a date and go for it.
Which I did.
I picked September 29.
Although there is a little bit of reasoning behind that particular date, it also happened to work with my plan.  I won't go into all the details of why that date might mean something in my world but let's just say that it was a day at changed my life (or, more accurately--it changed my thinking....which in turn changed my life) over three decades ago.  Don't try to guess....it's not all that astounding to anyone but me....

As I said--most importantly--September 29 was a date that worked with my plan.  It was a Monday and vacation was over.  Plus, being someone who has always been on an academic schedule, I knew that my mind and body is tuned into starting anew each September.  And, it gave me ample time to do my research, talk to some in-the-know folks, choose and join a running group and most importantly---buy myself some snazzy and comfy shoes AND some cute, cute running outfits! 
I mean....really....a girl needs more than just wanting to change her life to motivate her to take on something as huge as starting a running program.....snazzy shoes and cute clothes work for me every time. 
Everything came to together quite nicely thanks to my spectacular new friends at Fleet Feet.   I got a group, I got a mentor, I got some advice, I got a program and yes, I got some pretty great shoes and a few pretty cute running outfits....
My favorite part of it all (and the moment that I knew I was in the right place at the right time, doing the right thing) happened when the adorable associate who was helping me was telling me all about how her mom started running at age 55 and had never ran before and how it changed her life..... all of a sudden I said "Is your mom Nancy?"  And, the adorable associate said "YES!"   "Ahhhh....Nancy!!  My bus friend!  In fact, she was one of  the people who was instrumental in me making this decision to take up running!  She never said her daughter worked here!!!"  I squealed....
Many months ago when I thought I wanted to be a full time public transportation user, I gained several new friends---one of them being Nancy.  She lives near me and works at the University next door to the University where I work.  So, we had lots of time to chat on our early morning commutes.  Her story of  what prompted her to begin running when she never ran a day in her life  and  her journey to becoming a runner was interesting to hear unfold as the months went by.   As I got to know her,  I found that we were both in very similar places in our lives and dealing with many of the same changes to our worlds.  We were no longer mothers with children at home, our careers were not once as important as they once were, our marriages had taken on a comfortableness that sometimes felt a bit boring, we were feeling like we needed something new in our lives.....mid life was settling in and we were trying to figure out what to do with the rest of our lives......we still felt vital and young even though there were times we felt tired and old...... funny how much you can talk on the bus....
 Anyway.....
Thankfully, because I saw Nancy each morning at the start of her running program, I was fully aware that I might find myself in quite a bit of pain in the early days of becoming a runner.  There were days when I wondered if she would be able to walk from the bus stop to her office.....
And, I also knew that there were times when running 2 minutes felt like you were running 2 hours and that you would want to give up more than you wanted to continue.  She told me all about that... So, I was fully aware of the downside.  
But, I also knew---thanks to Nancy---if she could do it....so could I.  
Although the C25K program is gentle and eases you into running-- if you were never a runner---you are definitely using parts of your body and your muscles that you never used before......ouch!!!!
At the moment, I am having some major, major pain.....
And, I am only 2 days in.
But, I have a new pair of shoes and some great outfits.
And, my son the doctor and  runner said "mom, you will want to give up.....don't." 
I just didn't know I might want to give up so soon.....

I thought I was BORN TO RUN....it appears that I am not. 
I have to do the hard work to get to the PROMISED LAND.




No comments: