Follow me.......





Saturday, October 4, 2014

COMFORT FOOD?

 What says COMFORT FOOD TO YOU?

com·fort food
noun
noun: comfort food; plural noun: comfort foods
  1. food that provides consolation or a feeling of well-being, typically any with a high sugar or other carbohydrate content and associated with childhood or home cooking.
    Now that Fall is  officially on our doorsteps--chill and all--our thoughts drift away from the foods of summer and steer us towards those cooler-weather foods that give us a feeling of warmth not only in our bellies but also in our hearts and souls.  
    Or, so they say.... 
    For a Lapbander like me, I am often perplexed by the whole notion of comfort food.  Because sometimes those typical comfort foods provide no comfort at all to me.  They are actually uncomfortable foods....they play havoc with my Lapband and make for a very uncomfortable experience on many levels.   I will spare you the horrid details....
    Yet, I still long for those foods that transport me back to moments in my mother's kitchen or Sundays at my Nana's dinner table or those after-party foodie raids shared with my college room mates.    
    As much as I'd love to say that a huge slice of lasagna or a massive bowl of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese doesn't sound like heaven on earth---I have to be honest......there are times when I want and need them so badly, I am heartbroken.....   
    Thankfully,  I am impatient with misery so I tend to get over things rather quickly.  
    At times I sooth myself  by taking to the kitchen to make those foods....even if I can't eat them. Yes, I know....I sound like a masochist....I'm dysfunctional like that when it comes to food!
    Sometimes when the urge is just too strong, I figure out a way to get the tastes and the feeling that I need without the angst of Lapband moments....
    Some people may say that it's not good to equate food to feelings and that we should not attach any emotions to food and that we should not use  food to compensate for anything other than true hunger.   Experts tell us that is one of the leading causes of the obesity epidemic. 
    You know, I get that.  I completely understand it and in a way--I know it's true.  
    But, with any sound and reasonable theory---there's the other side of the argument.  
    You see, I really love food.  I love a good meal.  I love the memories of a good meal.  
    I am completely smitten with the entire process of enjoying food and enhancing your life through enjoying exceptional food.....whether it's cooking it, serving it or eating it---I am so about food....
    Why is it bad to love something that we love?  
     
      

No comments: