Follow me.......





Thursday, October 2, 2014

RUN JUDI RUN!

I am.


And, I can prove that YES, Judi is RUNNING:
 I'm pretty sure I might not be able to get up from this chair I am sitting in to go upstairs and get a shower!   I wonder if being too sore to walk is a good excuse for calling off  work during the busiest time of the year......


Speaking of apps......as part of my C25K program, I use an app on my phone that tells me when it's time to run and when it's time to walk.  My running mentor recommended this particular one after talking with me and understanding what I needed.  (what did I need? something easy to follow with not a lot of techy stuff....)   This one is so perfect for me.  I can't tell you that I don't get mad at it when it tells me it's time to run but I still like it....
 So, if anyone is interested in getting this FREE app for your phone.....here ya go....Zen Labs.
Tell them Judi sent you...... 

Speaking of my running mentor....she had some tips on how to deal with being sore and how to avoid it in the future.  She did acknowledge that the soreness I am feeling now is to be VERY expected since I never ran before in my life!   Still, she said that no matter how sore I am and how much I just want to lay down and remain still for hours on end, I have to move.  Moving circulates the blood and that is part of what heals the soreness.  So yeah....I do have to get out of this chair and walk up the steps....
She also told me that if I am not properly hydrated, the soreness will increase.  Water is the key.  Even though I drink quite a bit of water each day, she advised me to double it.  The reason she gave was that my body is used to that amount of water so it will need more to help with being hydrated enough to avoid the soreness.  With all that water drinking, I will definitely be moving more..... doubling my  trips to the bathroom! 
And, lastly, she said that I have to take a hard look at my "fuel consumption."    "Fuel consumption?"  I asked.  "Yes......your nutrition.....you know, the food you eat, " she said, helping me to understand.  She told me that I have to eat from all good groups to be properly fueled for running.  "If you fail to take in the necessary nutrients--from carbs and protein--you will fail at seeing the performance you want to see.  Eating carb-wisely before and after your runs is critical to keeping you energized.  And, being sure to take in enough protein to rebuild the tissues you are breaking down due to running."  she told me.

There's just so much more to this running thing besides cute shoes and fun outfits.....








1 comment:

Judith Harvey said...

Your mentor is right; it's not uncommon for first timers to be sore afterwards, but it's the good kind of soreness -- something that you could be proud of. Anyway, one way of preventing such soreness from happening in your latter sessions is to stay hydrated while you run. Also, always keep in mind what your mentor is telling you, as he has had a lot of experience when it comes to competitive running. Good luck!

Judith Harvey @ Aquaperfect Bottled Water & Vending