Follow me.......





Thursday, April 25, 2013

Speaking of Take Our Children to Work Day.......

Ahhh.....college life! Toni and a few of her sorority sisters....ready for a night on the town....

Yes, this is the life my daughter has been used to......





Soon, we will not be empty nesters.
How did that happen so fast? 
Yes, 4 years have swooshed by.....soon I will the mother of a newly minted college graduate.
Yes, I'm proud of my girl and happy that the tuition bills are over....
BUT....
Did I mention that I am having a wee bit of stress about the whole matter? 
Yeah, I didn't think so.



I didn't want to burden you with that. 
After all, I made such a ruckus when my daughter went off to college.....initially and then after each break.  
I'll bet your are thinking that I'm head-over-heels excited about having my favorite girl home in her pink ruffly bed.
Not so fast.
It's a wee bit more complicated than that.  
It's not that I'm NOT happy about it. 
I'm thrilled about certain aspects of it.
But, I'm not so thrilled about other aspects of it.
It will be a very different dynamic.....now that 4 years have passed and she is no longer a student and we now that we have had a taste of not having to think about kids and schedules and well.....you know.
The other day when her and I were chatting, I was telling her about a winery tour we were planning to do in September.   "What about me?  Am I going?"  she asked.
Hmmm.  Um.  NO. 
It makes me wonder what's to come......
Is my adult child returning to the nest figuring we will pick up right where life left off 4 years ago?
Can we EVEN do that?  
What a conundrum!
To be honest--I'm not even sure if we know how to deal with an adult child living with us.
I know for sure that I don't know how to deal with an adult child living with us.
Carmen has been reminding me constantly that I have to resist the urge to take her on shopping sprees just because and putting money in her checking account because she is running low on fun money and that I can't base our lives and our schedules on her life and her needs. 
I hear him.
I do.
But, I am worried that I won't be able to adhere to those new rules.
To be honest.....I'm pretty sure I will break them.
I'm a rule breaker from way back.  

In other news, I got an amazing outfit for commencement.
Let the perfect shoes hunt begin. 
If nothing else, I'll look fab on the day that will mark the beginning of my decent into another parenting journey..... 

6 comments:

Darlin1 said...

I'm right there with you....our son graduates on May 24 and we are moving him back home......................?????????????????????????



XO

Lee Ann said...

thanks for stopping by and saying hello! just had to peek and see what you're up to. when i was a kid i thought my mom was running my life, but now that i'm a mom, i've realized it's the other way around. they are running ours! hahaha.

speck said...

Well your post really caught my eye because I can relate to most of it.

My oldest daughter is in her third year of college. She decided to stay home and attend a college here.

I never complained because "mom" really didn't want her to leave home.

But she has decided to go away to college come August. So we have started the process of finding her her new home. I'm very excited for her and the time has come.

But I also wonder once she graduates, if she too will move back home like your daugther. And I wonder how I would feel about that.

I enjoyed reading your post.

Barbara said...

Good post.
I have been through this twice, and guess what, once they get a job they want their OWN everything and that includes apartment, condo or TENT.. She may be home for a couple of months, but that desire to be her own person on her own terms may come sooner than you think.. Congrats on another grad!!

healthy life said...

Great Blog !!

mdlapband said...

I was a delta zeta :)