Follow me.......





Friday, April 12, 2013

I am an ENFP.......



Given my profession, knowing that I am an ENFP is like knowing I have blue eyes.
It's just the way it is.
Over the years, I've spent thousands of hours discussing the 16 personality types as they relate to careers and work environments and hiring and team planning and yadda, yadda, yadda.
Throwing around our LETTERS in my circle of colleagues is as common as gossiping around the water cooler. 
Often, we hear ourselves using those LETTERS to explain away a behavior....."oh, well,she is an ISTP you know...." or "no wonder he said that, he is an ESFP!"

So, imagine my interest and excitement when I found out that this same personality type indicator can also be used as a tool in understanding our weight management type. 
I can use my ENFPing to manage my weight!  Woo-hoo!  
Why the hell didn't I ever think of that?  Damn I could have WROTE THE BOOK! 
Now, there's hundreds and hundreds of diet books out there that are based on the Meyers-Brigg's Theory (MBTI).
And, there's even a LinkedIn group dedicated to health, wellness and the MBTI! 
So, it must be serious. 
Damn. Damn. Damn.
Considering I have an intimate knowledge of dieting and an intimate knowledge of Meyers-Briggs, I could have had a whole different career....Queen of the MPTI Diet Program.....coulda, woulda, shoulda....
Anyway......
I'm sure dieting was the last thing on Carl Jung's mind when he came up with his theory. 
It was so genius in it's symplicity that it can be applied to all areas of life. 
Go Carl! 
Although I am not planning on embarking on any new diet plan or buying another diet book, I am intrigued by the entire concept of understanding your personality and how it impacts your weight management style.  
For instance.... knowing that  ENFP's (me!) fall into the habit of dropping a project when we become excited about a new possibility, and thus  never achieving the great accomplishments which we are capable of achieving is a very valuable nugget of information for me to have.  And, understanding that even though I am a people person who enjoys activity and engagement, I need alone time to feel centered is an excellent piece of advice for those times when I am feeling out of control and overly stimulated and stressed (thus making bad food choices?).    Even though I have always known these things about myself, coupling that self knowledge with how I manage my weight is powerful

You learn something everyday.
It's even better when the thing you learn is actually something you already knew.  
Yeah, I'm ENFPy like that..... 
 
Happy Friday! 

1 comment:

Jody V said...

I never put that together!! Great post!!