Follow me.......





Friday, May 14, 2010

Dreary week with the promise of sunshine.......

that's what I hear is coming our way this weekend......


Which means that I will finally get to dig in the dirt....
As much as I love my manicure and I'm not too crazy about worms and such, when it comes time to bring my garden to life--I ignore my vanity, put on my klunky gardening shoes, don a kooky outfit that I would never wear in public, slap on a hat that would bring embarrassment to my children, slip on some not-so-slinky gloves and I get down on my hands and knees to touch the earth.

I start to dig.
I pull weeds.
I till the soil.
I move around plantings.
I put in new plantings.
I feed and water them.
I say prayers over their roots.
Then, I stand back and admire my work.
Then, I do it all over again.
And again.
And again.
Until I'm happily covered in dirt, I need a new set of fingernails and my knees are weak.

All the while knowing that my gardens will color and flavor my summer.....

You know, it wasn't all that long ago.....about 115 lbs ago, as a matter of fact.....the thought of gardening would put me into a panic.
As much as I've always loved blooming flowers and fragrant herbs and just-picked produce, the physical work associated with it all gave me a real sense of dread.
I'll never forget the anguish of getting down on the ground to plant and then remembering I forgot something--which meant that I had to get back up to retrieve it.
It was no easy task.

And, I will never, ever forget the bodily aches that would follow after just one day of soil tilling and weed pulling and planting....
Perhaps that's why there were several years that I took to container gardening.....

There are times--like right now--that I am overcome with emotion because of what my Lapband has given me.
Even if they are the most ordinary things.
Let's face it---we're talking about gardening!
But, you know, if it wasn't for my Lapband, my dirt digging days might be over.
I would have missed the joy of chipped nail polish, colorful flowerbeds and amazing basil.....
That wouldn't have been fair....

2 comments:

The Universe said...

Changing what you have, Judi, comes from changing who you are.

And changing who you are comes from changing what you think.

Which is why I made the latter so easy.

Hey, I think it's Friday...
The Universe

Theresa said...

Great post. I can't wait to be were you are. Already I feel so much better after just a few pounds lost. I can't imagine what life will be with 100 pounds gone.
PS
Thanks for your kind comments on my blog yesterday. I lost my mom at 14 also, that was 33 years ago. I always feel a kinship to those who've lost their mother at a young age. Anyway, thanks.