Follow me.......





Monday, February 23, 2009

Mardi Gras Monday!

....a day to live to excess.....?

After my weekend of happy valleying in Happy Valley, living to excess is the last thing I should be doing today. But, I'm pretty sure that's the rule of Mardi Gras...isn't it? Well, I'm a rule breaker from way back. So, perhaps I'll just lay a little low on the Mardi Gras scene.

But, this whole Mardi Gras thing has me a little curious. It's got me thinking about an entire way of life--one that's completely acceptable and clearly celebrated. A way of life that promotes the idea of feasting before famining (is that a word?). The notion that before we give up some of our favorite things, we have to consume or partake in as much as we can of them. Sounds to me like it's the exact behavior that put the diet industry on the map....don't you think?

Now, don't start throwing rotten apples at your computer screen or begin putting pins into a Judi voodoo doll just because I said that. Like I said---I'm just thinking about it a little. And, afterall, I'm as much of a feast-and-famine kind of girl myself as anyone else--if not more! I long held to the Monday diet....after a weekend of (or, to be more honest--many weeks of..) gluttonly and excess, I'd wake up and say "NO MORE" and vow to go on a diet--lose weight, eat more healthy and exercise. You see where that got me....don't you? Under the knife. Thankfully, there was a knife to go under....

I have no intention of preaching to the choir or anyone else. It's not my thing. In fact, in thinking about all of this, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that mardi gras behavior is a way of life--an inescapable one at that. So, there's actually nothing to preach about. Even if I thought there was--how can one gal sitting in her little office off of her kitchen in a cold suburb of Pittsburgh change an entire way of life that is deeply rooted in each and every one of us? How can I alter a path that was paved by our ancestors, our teachers, our governments, our religions and all of our leaders? Not that I've done this to any great degree but I'll bet if we comb through history, that's exactly what we will find. If we take a serious look at culture--we will find the same thing. Every aspect of our worlds--family life, high finance, careers, religion, culture--subscribes to this. Think about it. Mardi gras behavior is as American as Apple Pie. It might even be a birthright. Spend today, save tomorrow. Eat today, diet tomorrow. Party tonight and pay for it in the morning. Sin now and do your pennace tomorrow. Okay....you get it...

We live in a mardi gras world. So, shed those clothes friends, put on some gold chains, march in the streets, throw some coins, pour yourself a Hurricane and party on. Then, be sure to tell me all about it....since I'll be laying low. I mardi graed a little too much this past weekend....I need to demardi gras.
Anyway....I have to whip myself into parade shape.....St. Pat's Day is coming...

2 comments:

Eileen, Founder, Organizer, Mayor and Chief Cook And Bottle Washer of the Anger Management Girls. said...

For me Mardi Gras is just a warm up for the real deal.
The "High Holiday Season" is just around the corner!
Top of the Mornin' To ya!!

Debbie said...

I'm laying low also...as I've told you before I just can't do it anymore.(excess anything). By the way congrats on being 50 for 1 whole month...