Follow me.......





Thursday, October 24, 2013

It's NOT Winter yet!!!

Why is everyone acting like it is?
It's OCTOBER people.......!!!!

I've got this thing that I hate turning the furnace on.
Call it what you will but I am just stubborn when it comes to batting down the hatches and flipping the switch.
I aim to hold out until November 1.
Usually, I don't win the war.
The moaning and complaining in my house wears me down and I give in.
And, I suppose the fact that I can't give a good rationale for selecting this arbitrary date doesn't give my fight any punch.
But....  
Several weeks ago when the first complaints began, I made a decision to dig my heels in and lay down the law---we are not turning the furnace on until November 1. 
It's not going so well.
Those damn weather people are being so dramatic about this blast of cold air that's coming our way that my whole house is in a panic.  My daughter is quoting the weather people and my husband is accusing me of finally trying to freeze him to death.   "I'm not getting any younger, you know..." he tells me. 
Then, my son announced that it was snowing in his locale--4 hours away.
Now those weather experts I live with are positive that winter is only steps away from our door and they are convinced I have lost my mind.
Granted, the house is a little chilly.
Hell, we aren't even there that much!!!  
My response is to put on a sweater and a pair of socks and soldier on when you're in the house.
I can do it, why can't they?
They are positive I just want to see them suffer.  
It's not called suffering.....it's called adjusting.  
They just can't seem to see that. 
Adjusting just isn't in their vocabulary.
Why is it in mine?
Why can I figure out a way to just make a few tweaks and they can't?
I don't want to brag or anything but I am a master of adjusting without complaint. 
I just do what needs done and get on with things.
In fact, I always find the silver lining of the adjusting.
Case in point---I am enjoying the slight chill in the house.  It's nice to get some use out of my pretty flannel jammies.  And, I just love piling on blankets and falling to sleep under them. 
And for the record...here's another example of my ability to adjust---now that we have three drivers living in the house, we've been figuring out purchasing a new vehicle for me versus getting a used vehicle for our daughter. We haven't had much time to really figure it out nor have we had the time to go out and look at cars. And---not to mention that my husband does not just go out and buy cars---he does massive research.    In the meantime, my daughter and I have been sharing my car.  What this means is that there are some days that I  take the bus to work. One of the perks of my job (that I never really took advantage of)is that we get free bus service.  And, the bus stop is about 50 feet from my driveway--I take it into town, get off of it, cross the street and get on another bus that takes me to the front of my building (closer to my office than where I park!).  After the first time I did this, I came to the realization that not only do I get to work quicker, I am also not nearly as stressed as I am when I sit in awful traffic.  And---I can read on the bus or text or hang out on Facebook or read blogs or even write my blog.  And, I get to go into town on the way home when the stores are open--something I don't do very often!   I have stopped in a few stores before getting on the bus home--sneaking in a little shopping as a stress reliever from a long day instead of sneaking a smoke for relief.  Win, win , win!  As a matter of fact, I am now considering being a permanent bus rider.  Why didn't I think of this sooner???    Stay tuned on that.....

Why can't we just enjoy the beauty of October?
Winter will be here soon enough!  
 

No comments: