Follow me.......





Friday, December 19, 2008

The clothes make the girl.....


...yes, you are reading the blog of the mother of the girl voted as the best dressed girl of her senior class....

Finally...all that work paid off! From the day I brought her home from the hospital in her little pink and purple Gymboree outfit with matching headband, sox and shoes to all the first day of school outfits to the amazing dresses for dances--my job is done. She has won the much-coveted title of BEST DRESSED GIRL. All those years... all those shopping trips, all those headbands and shoes and jeans and skirts and pants and sweaters....have brought us to this day. TONI has been been crowned with her rightful title. And, I am the woman with the debit card that got her there.....

And, yet, at this very hour, I sit here fretting over fashion. Yes, friends...tonight begins Carmen's big end of year holiday extravaganza. It's a weekend of glitz and glamour and all things fancy. I have to hop in the car with my bags packed in a matter of hours. And, I'm having a fashion melt down. Tonight, it's a black tie affair--complete with gowns and sparkles and velvet and jewels. Remember last year? Well, this year is last year on steroids. I mean, last year, I looked different---I know. But, this year...I look very different. I may only be down another 40 pounds since last year but I look different. Very different. I am much more toned than I was--thanks to my walking buddy and dear friend Martha who keeps me on task each morning.....she waits at the corner in the pitch dark for me to emerge. And, I walk. And talk. It's the best way to start any day. So...thanks Martha! Because of my new walking regimen, I can see the redistribution of things on my body. I am no longer just one huge belly with a body attached to it. So....I definitely want to make the most of it--fashion-wise, that is. But...hey...I don't want to go so overboard that it seems like I'm trying too hard. It all has to appear effortless. We don't want anyone to know that I've been shopping and stressing over it all.

Okay...you figured me out...I want to be arm candy. I admit it. I want a hush to fall over the entire room. I want people to fawn over me and applaud my success. And, I want Carmen to just about faint when he sees me. It's that simple. I want to look spectacular and fabulous and elegant. AND THINNER! But, I want to stick to my own style. I mean, Judi at any weight does not wear clothes that scream sexpot. Well, at least not to a party with a room full of engineers. What's a girl to do?

I know, I know...you're wondering why I just don't go out and shop! Well...I have to let you in on one tiny little secret--I've already bought several things for this party. They are all upstairs hanging in my closet ready to be chosen. But, are they the right things? I just don't know. Sure, I could forbid my well-dressed daughter from going to school today to help me with my plight. But...that's not a good parent thing to do. Or, is it? No, no. She must go to school. I can't put mommy's fashion in front of a good solid education. Or, could I? No, no. She must go to school. Okay...okay...I'm just going to have to depend on Vince to help me out. My boy is home from PhDland. Although...isn't he the kid who wore pants held together with duck tape and fraternity t-shirts throughout his undergraduate days? And, isn't he the guy who considers a clean hoodie appropriate dress-up wear? Hmmm. Maybe I should just keep my best dressed girl home from school today....

See you next week.....when the real holiday frenzy begins....!
As if this ISN'T a frenzy....


Happy Weekend-Before-Christmas!

2 comments:

Jody V said...

Congrats to Toni on her much deserved win! Congrats to you for giving her your sense of style!

I am sure you will look beautiful no matter what you wear. We would love to see some pics of what you decided on!!

Have a great time!!

Jody

Kathy said...

What an achievement for you and Toni. I know you'll pick the perfect dress for this occasion.
After all, Toni couldn't have won her title without your sense of style. Have a great time and don't forget to take some pictures of you as the 'hot number' on Carmen's arm.