Follow me.......





Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What is YOUR Pot Luck Personality?

It's been said many times--we are the food we eat. At this time of the year, eating is a national event--we eat, eat and eat. We eat it all--traditional ethnic foods, cookies, nut rolls, pies, chocolate, candy canes and appetizers galore. We sit down to big family dinners, we go to office parties and neighborhood gatherings, we go to lunch with friends, we go out to dinner with coworkers and we entertain in our own homes. It's food, food, food 24-7. If we're not eating it, we're thinking about it. And, sometimes even when we are eating it, we're thinking about it. And, we talk about it. We talk and think and eat--food. It's just the way it is. We make casseroles and vats of meatballs to bring to friend's homes. We assemble goodie baskets to deliver to neighbors. And, we wouldn't be caught dead empty handed walking into a party. We cut up cheese and pepperoni, we mix up cream cheese dips and we stock up on fancy crackers and breads. Or....maybe that's just us. Because I've just figured out a dirty little secret....not everyone does all of this. I know it's hard to believe but it's oh so very true. There's an entire population of people out there walking among us who are not all that into food. Or, maybe they are not that much into sharing food. Or, maybe it's more about laziness or selfishness or thoughtlessness. Or maybe it's about money. Or maybe it's about cooking skills or interests. I'm not sure. But, what I do know is that they are not like me and I am not like them. Which, of course, is not a bad thing. It's just a curious thing....to me. How do I know about these people? I go to Potlucks....

Now, believe me, I'm not judging anyone based on the food they bring to a potluck! In fact, I don't want it to sound that way at all. Like I said, it just makes me curious. When I am going to a potluck--I pull out all the stops. I'm inclined to make sure that my contribution is something with star quality. Does that mean that I crave attention? Possibly...I'm not sure. What I would hope is that my reasoning for this is purely selfless. Yet, I've never spent much time analyzing why I bring two entrees and a salad and someone else walks in with a dish the size of my fancy little tea cup. So, I can't say--for sure--if there's any deep seated issues that cause me to go overboard and someone else to do the bare minimum. Maybe it's just all about the food.... And, if it is....what does the food that you bring to a potluck say about your personality?

I think it's worth a look-see. A little research maybe? So...here's the plan....

Since we're in the season of food, next time you go to a potluck....look around at who is bringing what. And, try to figure out if the food they bring matches their personalities. Even if we never come to any concrete result......I'll bet you'll have a grand old time analyzing that woman who walks in with a container of Spam....

5 comments:

Jody V said...

LOL Judi -

I do the same thing! I will research the food network website for dishes that say WOW! I guess I like the attention too!

Jody

Kathy said...

Oh you're so right Judi. I am one, like you who scans through her recipes to find just the right thing to make for a potluck. I love to cook and really enjoy hearing someone ask for my recipe for something I've made. Maybe I am just looking for a pat on the back. I don't know but I am like you in that I try to bring something spectacular to potlucks. Have a good day my friend.

Gerry said...

Judi,
Your blog today definitely gave me a chuckle. At least they were green apples and not sour grapes. ;)

Gerry

Daffodil Hill said...

That's too funny about the Christmas clothes. Maybe we really ARE sisters! I think we had some version of those same pj's and dresses every year until high school. And the silver tree with the "color wheel" shining on it. We thought we were really something! Now where are YOUR pics? ; )

Oh, let me know when you're having a potluck dinner. I'll drive to Pittsburgh just for the food. : )

Anonymous said...

I think it's all about the approval rating. Besides loving to cook AND eat, I think I was raised that cooking for someone was showing love and I don't want anyone to think I half-ass love them. So I too pull out all the stops with food and say WOW!! DO I EVER LOVE YOU!!!!!! We foodies are a rare breed. What can we say?