Follow me.......





Tuesday, November 19, 2013

HO HO HO......



 GREEN GIANT! 
 The Green Giant says to eat your veggies.......
(you have to be of a certain age to understand this, perhaps.....)

Okay, I gotta confess something right now.......I did not eat my veggies growing up. 
No matter what that GREEN GIANT said.
As a matter of fact, I hated that damn GREEN GIANT!  
It wasn't until I was married that I started to experiment with veggies.
But, I have to be totally honest here......it's not like I am a veggie person.
I never force fed my kids veggies.
And, sometimes I forget about veggies all together.
SHAME. SHAME. SHAME.
I really am trying to be better.....
To prove to you that I really am trying to be better---I spent my weekend experimenting with new-to-me veggie recipes for the upcoming holidays.
Man-oh-man--- I hit the jack pot!
On Sunday, I had my taste testers on standby to help me in determining what will make the menus and what won't....
In the spirit of  Thanksgiving......I am going to share these 2 hits with you.....

Balsamic Glazed Brussel Sprouts
First, let me tell you that Brussel Sprouts never touched my lips.  Yes, I was a virgin when it came to Brussel Sprouts.  Until my Sunday morning Williams Sonoma Thanksgiving technique class.  Not only did the entire class go ga-ga over these (myself included!), my at-home taste testers gave them mega thumbs up.  And, here's the kicker--this recipe is easier than easy with a little help from Trader Joe's.  Even without Trader Joe's, it's easy!!!    Oh, did I mention there's bacon???

Ingredients
  • 4 slices bacon, chopped (I used the uncured "bacon pieces" from Trader Joe's)
  • 2 swirls of olive oil
  • 2  cloves of crushed garlic
  • 1 small onion, diced small (NOTE:  I used the already chopped shallots, garlic and onions from Trader Joe's....found in the veggie section)
  • 10 oz shaved brussel sprouts (Trader Joe’s sell them ready shaved in a bag!)
  • ¼ cup balsamic vinegar (I actually used the Trader Joe's balsamic vinegar glaze for more intensity
  • ¼ cup chicken stock
  • Salt and pepper
  • Parmeggiano shavings (this was my add-in....loved it!)
Instructions
  1. Cook the chopped bacon, garlic and onion in the olive oil over medium heat until  bacon is lightly browned and garlic and onion translucent.
  2. Add the shaved sprouts and stir well.
  3. Cook, stirring frequently, until sprouts just start to brown, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add the balsamic vinegar and stock and stir well.
  5. Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for a further 5 minutes until sprouts are tender.
  6. Season with salt and pepper to taste, garnish if Parm shavings if desired.

Pumpkin Glazed Lyonnaise Carrots
Confession time again--I was never, ever crazy about cooked carrots.  But, once I was introduced to a recipe that my step mother called  glazed lyonnaise carrots, I changed my mind a bit.  In any case....
this recipe I am sharing with you is a result of me tinkering with a combo of my step mother's recipe and  the pumpkin butter glazed carrots they sampled at Trader Joe's a few weeks back.  Finally, this past weekend, after a few attempts that were just okay, I tinkered enough and came up with this one that my taste tester group just about did cartwheels over!!!  Please be careful if they too cause you to do cartwheels!!! 

1 bag of  frozen Trader Joe's Parisian Carrots (these little gems are fabumazing!)--you can use other frozen carrots of course!---follow directions on bag to cook these tender-crisp
Meanwhile.....in a sautee pan over low heat.....put.....
A swirl of olive oil
1/2 onion--chopped very fine
Sautee for a few minutes then add.....
3 heaping tablespoons of Pumpkin Butter (I used one that I had open in the fridge from Trader Joe's but other brands will work just fine!)
Slowly add the cooked carrots, stirring as you add them.  Add a little water to thin it if you need to.  Sautee about 5-8 minutes. 
About 5 minutes before serving---toss in a handful of chopped walnuts, a handful of raisins and some fresh thyme leaves.....
Season with salt and liberal amounts of pepper and sprinkle with chopped parsley
Toss well and serve.

Oh, and before I forget......if you are looking for a lovely frittata recipe to serve your holiday guests (or yourself!) for breakfast or brunch or lunch or a light dinner......this one from The Proud Italian Cook gets rave reviews from me and  from my taste tasters!   It was the perfect recipe to try out during a taste-testing marathon! Plus,  it's yummy, it's seasonal and it's oh so pretty.   
The Proud Italian Cook never disappoints!!! 

 YUM! YUM! YUM!!!!!

1 comment:

Jody V said...

As always...thank you for sharing!