Follow me.......





Friday, October 2, 2009

Lap band Friday.......


It's a big day here in Judiland.
Today is my 2 year Lap Band follow up apptointment.
Yes, I know...my 2 year anniversary was over 6 weeks ago. But, my surgeon's office is busting at the seams with patients (which means that weight loss surgery must be trendy...I have alwas loved being trendy!). So, getting in a lengthy appointment like this one takes awhile. I'll be doing my official weigh in, having my port checked, talking with the technician about where we go from here (now that I have lost the weight), having my band examined and getting the blood work done. In addition, because I volunteered to be part of a larger study about weight loss surgery, I'll be meeting with the researchers and going through their battery of tests. A long day? Yes. But, an important one. You see....my Lap band changed my life. Completely. Not just a little bit. A whole lot. And, after today, I'll know even more about how much it changed my life--I'll get an inside look at what it did for my life in terms of my health. So, it's not just about fitting into smaller clothes or having a better self image--it's about living a healthier life--in those smaller clothes.


When I started this journey.....I was well over 200 lbs (a lady never tells her exact weight), I was taking meds for diabetes, my blood pressure and my cholesterol were climbing, my knees were killing me, my feet constantly hurt, I couldn't make it up a pair of steps without pain and misery, walking any length of time was not pleasant, I was constantly exhausted, I wasn't too thrilled with how I looked, my self image was plumetting, I was frustrated and I felt old. Today, 200 is a memory, I am not taking meds, my blood pressure and my cholesterol has been under control, my knees are fine, my feet are fine (unless I wear really cute but completely uncomfortable shoes), I can run up steps, I can walk for hours, I get tired because I'm tired, I am thrilled with how I look, I feel good about myself, I am content and damn it---I feel like I am in the prime of my young life!!!! And, for all of that--I am thankful. Beyond thankful.....


As much as today is about needles and tests, it's also about knowing where I go from here. Is my restriction just perfect and will it enable me to maintain this weight loss? Or, do I need just a little tweak? Am I done losing weight? And, if so--am I done losing weight? Am I the Judi that I will be 2 years from now or 5 years from now or even 20 years from now? Will I no longer be trying to lose 5 pounds or 10 pounds or 20 pounds? Will I always wear a perfect Size 10 Petite and sometimes even a comfy 8? Does my future no longer include weight loss?


Two years ago, I wondered what life would like without pasta, bread, diet coke and gin and tonics. Today I'm wondering what life will be like without having to lose weight.

Is this when I say.....you've come a long way baby?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Judi!!

Jill from NY

Gen said...

Wow. You are such an inspiration to this Baby Bandster. Congratulations on your amazing success.

Anonymous said...

What an exciting day for you, yes you've come a long way baby! I'm thankful you've extended your hand to guide me thru my journey. Can't wait to hear about all the oohhs and aahhs from the doctor.

L