Follow me.......





Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Presenting....straight from her stint in the Midwest and on the West Coast....


THE ONE.....THE ONLY......

THE FOOT STOMPING, DRUM ROLLING,

TEACHING, PREACHING, SCREECHING,

EDUCATING, NIKE-WEARING

SUPERSISTER OF ROCK AND ROLL

AND AUTHOR EXTRAORDINARE

OF ONE HELL OF AN EXTRAORDINARY BOOK

NONE OTHER THAN THE GRAND DAME

OF

LEADERSHIP, FRIENDSHIP, GOOD CAREER ADVICE,

SPIRIT AND COMPASSION.....

THE MISS KITTY OF THE E-LOUNGE.....

LIVE AND IN PERSON....

RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW....

09-09-09

Let's give a wild, noisey, hip jirating, big-lovin'

Stories from the Road welcome

to......

Your guest blogger for today....











THE SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES..........






Hi All, I answered Judi’s call to be a guest blogger. She gave me no other guidance except to think about the journey of life. One of my favorite topics is music and so today, I am thinking about music and the role that it plays on our journey.

For those of us who love music, there are the obvious ways that it connects us to particular moments in our lives. Judi’s guy Bruce always reminds me of growing up in eastern PA, just across the Delaware River from New Jersey, our local rock station played a lot of Bruce.


As much as I love that songs take us back, I also love how music can also be whatever we want in the moment. Now don’t get me wrong, I have wonderful friends and a loving partner. In addition though, I turn to music for a particular sort of companionship. When I want comfort and good company, I may listen to Stevie Nicks.


I also love Natalie Merchant for the same kind of calming energy. Then there is music that gives me a different kind of boost (a little help with confidence, etc.), R.E.M.’s “Walk Unafraid” for example:


And of course there is the music that revs me up, including old bands like Led Zeppelin, Rush, and Queen. In this way, I think music is a most reliable friend, or some might say, a healthy drug. I can turn it on and be with the feelings I want -- comfort, happiness, or even anger and frustration. Further, music can give me a boost, a little help with confidence or energy.

Thus far, I’ve shown my age with my favorites. But I love new music as well. In fact, as much as I love new music, I love the hunt for new music. It’s probably the same thrill that Judi gets from the quest for just the right new pair of red shoes. I read music magazines, surf online, etc... all looking for the next artist or band who will bring some magic into my life. So is there anything deeper to this quest for new music or is it just consumerism? I believe it reflects the ongoing search for connection and a curiosity about what is new. These are both life-sustaining forces.

The list of bands and artists that I love is very long. However I will share with you, a few newer artists that I’m into: my current fave is Antje Duvekot

a wonderful songwriter with a knock-out voice. Also check out Fleet Foxes and the soundtrack from “Away We Go.”

But more important than my recommendations, is the question, what role does music play in your life? Oh, and if you have any new singers or bands who are keeping you good company, let me know.

Peace,

Harriet, aka. Prof H (to Judi’s readers)

Proprietress of The E Lounge

No comments: