Follow me.......





Sunday, September 13, 2009

It's Sunday.....let's talk football......

....isn't that what we are supposed to do on Sundays?


Alright, alright....I know....I am not what you would call a football afficianado. Sundays during football season mean only a few things to me--do I have to cook? And, if so--how many people do I have to cook for? Sure, sometimes I might go bug my spirited girlfriends while they try to watch the game at a local pub. It's always a good excuse to have a few drinks with them on a Sunday afternoon. And there are other times that I use the time to sneak out and do a little shopping. But, mostly--football season for me just means working menus and meals around games. Sure I like a good play-off party and I think it's great when our team wins and I like the whole fashion thing that goes with football--after all I usually do send out the email to my office to remind them to dress in BLACK AND GOLD (not that everyone listens....). I'm an excellent sport when it comes to those things. And, you can count on me to do kitchen duty during football parties--I don't mind missing a play. And, listen, I even have lots of Steeler decorations. And, I definitey selflessly support fantasy football--i.e.--I don't throw a hissy fit when Carmen spends my shoe shopping money on fantasy.....
You get it--football is not my thing. But I do my part.
So, I'm pretty sure you don't read my blog to hear me talk about football. Well, except for football party recipes maybe....
Well, today I'm going to change all that.
I am going to talk FOOTBALL.....
You'll be very surprised what I know.....


So, how many of you out there know Jamie Dukes?
Ah-ha.
He played football.
Now he's a commentator.
Ah-ha.
He has a Lap band.
Betcha didn't know that, did ya?


Yesterday as I was watching the NFL network....
Ok, let's rewind here....
Yesterday, as I was walking through the living room, there sat Carmen in his recliner--reclined--with his remote in hand....doing what he does....clicking from one college football game to another and another, back to ESPN then on to the NFL Network. He says it relaxes him....
God knows how all that clicking and flash TV watching can relax anyone. But, like I told you a few hundred times before....his attention span is nil. He readily admits to his major ADHD as well as his addiction to HDTV.....
Anyway....just as I was about to go outside to do a little weeding, I caught a glimpse of the TV. And, right there--on the screen--on the NFL Network--was a diagram of a Lap band. Like this....

Just as Carmen was about to click to another station....I screeched...."Nooooo....."
The poor guy almost fell out of his recliner.
Then, the screen cut back to a well-dressed and kinda cute, rather large black man--talking about his Lap Band. He got a Lap band awhile back. And now he is reaping the rewards of his decision. Just like me. Me and Jamie Dukes....doing it together. Who knew?
Maybe this is old news but it was new news to me. Probably because I don't keep up with the life and times of NFL stars....
In any case, Jamie is a Lap band brother. He may be an athlete and a star but he has walked the same path as me. Little old me who doesn't know a thing about first downs and time outs and snap backs has a very important connection to Jamie...we are like this ( I say as I hold two fingers up and twist them together.) We're traveling this journey together. And, just like the many millions of us who suffer from weight issues, obesity and life-threatening pounds--Jamie and I understand. Oh sure he chalks up his struggle to life after football and I chalk my struggle up to kids, pasta, nachos and genes. But, it's all the same--it's a fierce battle--the opponents may be different and the numbers on the board (well, the scale) might not be the same but in the end---we're looking to win. Jamie and me. In the game of a lifetime.....together.


BTW.....did you know who the first black Heisman Trophy winner was?
Ernie Davis.
No, he wasn't Lap banded.
But, his story sure is uplifting....we caught The Express on HBO on demand last night.

Football. Football. Football. That's what Sunday is all about.
You can't accuse me of not getting with the program......

No comments: