Follow me.......





Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Did YOU gain a few pounds?

Now, who in the hell asks that question?
If  you guessed my 94 year old weight-watcher father asks that question, you would be correct. 
If you have been reading my blog since day one, you already know that my Lap band and my weight has been one of my father's favorite spectator sports.  He loves to ask about it, talk about it and tell everyone all about it.  Sometimes, I think it gives him something to live for....
So, perhaps I'm keeping him humming along.  Me and my never ending battle of the bulge has kept him on alert and interested in living.   Considering I may be single--handedly responsible for his longevity, you would think he would cut me a break......
Well, friends, I can double guarantee you, it ain't going to happen. 
He's tougher than a scale.  And, that's no lie.  He puts you face-to-face with the truth...along with that look of parental disappointment....
And, he's also much more aware than the common guy on the street.
He sees extra weight through sweaters and coats....with his 94 year old xray Dad eyes.....
Maybe he bought these from the back of my 70's TEEN magazine....

Yes, I have gained some weight. 
Leave it to a parent to keep us honest. 
You heard it here folks.....Judi is dealing with a weight gain.  
No need to wait for my father to give you the news.
DID YOU HEAR?  Judi gained weight!  Judi gained weight!  Get the news here! 

 
It's teetering on about a  20 pound weight gain and it's squarely placed in that one place that I inherited from my father.....my stomach (and some of the surrounding areas....).   Thank you Daddy. 
Somedays it's 17 pounds, other days it's 18 pounds and other days it's 21 pounds.
So, we are going with 20. 
When your body is fickle, it's best not to commit to any one number because the next day you will be proven wrong. 
So, I will  pose the same question that my father asked me last night....
WHAT HAPPENED?
 First, we will go with the version I told my Dad....
Well, it's like this---I haven't been as religious as I should be about eating.  And, I have this thing that I thought was a corn on my toe--which is really a bad infection that is very very painful---that has made it hard to walk every day, let alone fully continue with my running program. 

That rendition is truthful.  But, its not the whole truth.  Even if I wanted to tell him the whole truth, he didn't give me a chance.  Once I said all of that, he went off on a lecture about my weight and how I don't want to get that fat again and  then badgered me with questions about my toe and the infection....which spiraled into him warning me that I might have to have it amputated.  Who wants to be a fat woman with an amputated toe?   The thought of it sent me directly to the freezer to get both of us some ice cream.  I knew that might be the only way to shut him up.....and give me a little taste of peace and pleasure....

Now, for what's really going on......
It's tough, friends.   Really tough.  Maintaining a weight loss on a body built for obesity gets harder and harder.  The Lap Band keeps it from spiraling into a 50 pound or a 60 pound or a 100 pound weight gain.  But, still.....20 pounds is NOTHING to take lightly....
It's just that  I am tireder than tired.  Overwhelmed.  Over stressed. Over scheduled.  And....if truth be told.....over it all.   At least that's the way I am feeling right now....
Keeping up with everything that needs kept up with is not an easy task.  It's beats me to the bone some days.  There are moments that I look around at what needs done....at work and at home and even in my very scheduled, demanding life and I can't even process it all.   
So, yes, I might eat mashed potatoes.  Or ice cream.  Or candy.  
I try to schedule in things like massages and trivia nights and martinis and girls nights out and visits with friends.... but even then.....when I am enjoying those little pleasures.....my mind is on what I am not doing and what I need to do.....and all the guilt and panic that comes with all of that!  
It's playing havoc with my band.  The stress is tightening it so much that eating a normal meal is not exactly without it's own brand of stress.  So, I eat other things....things that go directly through my beloved band....and they are NOT the best choices.  But, I figure....a girl has to eat.  
And, then, there's the other issues that not serving me well.....not planning daily lunches since I am so rushed all of the time....putting me at the mercy of the faculty dining room, eating late at night because that's when I finally have a chance, not drinking my morning protein shakes because it's so damn early and I am running so damn late....not to mention that every so often weeknight glass of wine.....oh....and a little cheese.  And, some crackers....

So, what am I going to do about it? 
 I know the answer.
You know the answer.  
Hell, even my dad knows the answer.  

 

.  








1 comment:

Grandma Bonnie said...

I hope you take this as just my opinion. The band does not work forever. It sounds like you are too tight. Have you even considered a revision to a sleeve? I revised in August and really like my sleeve. The weight loss is slow and work, but I am down 25 pounds with only 10 to go. If you have any questions my email is nephrologypc@aol.com