Follow me.......





Sunday, November 2, 2008

Dress Rehearsaling...........

...we can turn back the hands of a clock but we can't turn back the hands of time...so we have to make the most of what we have on our hands.... (and you can quote me on that....)


Now that I've had my little rant about "my look" and did my whining over aging, it's time to get down to business. The business of getting it all right. Thankfully, I'm armed with some good advice from my faithful and very knowing readers. And, my resident shopping partner and all around fashion and style guru has weighed in on the matter. In addition, being the information hound that I am, I also decided to take an academic look at the matter by investing in literature. Yes, I caved in and bought a style book for the aging woman. Have no fear, I dawned Jacki O sunglasses and put a silk scarf over my head when I wandered into Barnes & Noble to buy it. Just in case....

Prior to my jaunt to Barnes & Noble, I needed to do a little research on what reading material is out there for women who find themselves in my situation--on the verge of 50 and needing an education on what a good 50 looks like. What I found was quite surprising. The good news is that there are a lot of people making a lot of money on women like me. Why is this the good news? Well, I look at it this way--if people are making money that means that there are people out there needing help. And, if there are people out there needing help and buying up these books then that means that I am not alone. Knowing that I'm not alone with these issues feels a little more friendly than thinking I'm the only close-to-50-year-old who just figured out she's wearing the wrong jeans. Now for the bad news--there's a lot of people making a lot of money on women like me. Why is it the bad news? Well, when you're this close to 50...it's not like you have a lot of time to figure out which book would be the best one to buy. If you want to arrive at 50 in good style...you need time to make that happen. And, to make that happen, I wanted and needed help. Yes, I'd love to hire a stylist or get picked for a make over show. But, since the chances of those things happening were slim to none--I wanted a guide of some sort that I could put into practice and test out a little bit so that by the time I got to 50...I'd be doing 50 in perfect style.
So...after a little shopping around, I happened upon a book that I picked almost 100% because of it's title. Staging Your Comeback by Christopher Hopkins. The title itself felt right to me. And, it went along with my thinking. So, I snatched it up and ran home to begin reading it. Although we had an incredibly busy weekend, I stole time away every chance I could to read. It's a page turner...that's for sure. Especially the make overs!

Now, I'm going to start practicing the things that I am reading. One thing that I won't have to worry about that Christopher (my new stylist!) keeps stressing is the weight loss thing. He does spend a little more time than probably needed on the fact that weight does age a person. He strongly encourages women to first loose weight as a way of getting ready for their "second act". I'll admit it...I did smile to myself each time he mentioned it. I gotta fess up here...it's the first time in my adult life that I was reading about weight loss and not feeling overwhelmed by it!!! And, since I'm not sidelined by that, my mind is freed up to follow the tips in the book...I can devote 100% of my time on the style and make up tips. That means that over the next few weeks, I'll be testing some new looks and see how it goes. It's already influenced me...just in the 48 hours since I've owned it. As a matter of fact--I did a little bit today with my choice of lip color. Christopher is saying to tone it down. He says that dark colors age a woman. Hmmm....I just love, love, love red lipstick. But, after I put on a light shade, I swear I could almost feel the years lift from my face. It might have been a coincidence but I swear that the lipstick change is what possessed me to dig around my closet for a little vest that nips at the waist (one of those things I bought on a whim). I know, I know...it was only lipstick. But, it changed everything today. In my heart of hearts, I always knew lipstick would save me someday.....
Yes, I know life is not a dress rehearsal. But, I don't give a shit. Nope, I don't. From now until January 23, I'm going to be rehearsing for my next act...the one where I am the star....

5 comments:

Jody V said...

Hi Judi -

Good for you!! You have natural style and will find your way. You just needed a bit of a boost!! You rock my socks Sista!!

Jody

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Good for you Judi!!! We are never too old to learn a new trick or two ;)

Blessings,

Sher

Eileen, Founder, Organizer, Mayor and Chief Cook And Bottle Washer of the Anger Management Girls. said...

When your done with "Christopher" send him my way. I need all the help I can get.

By the way Earkle:
http://www.kellie.de/jaleelwhite.htm

The Makeover Guy said...

Of all the books out there, I'm so pleased mine was chosen!!

Thanks, Judi. When do you "make your entrance?"

Anonymous said...

"As a matter of fact--I did a little bit today with my choice of lip color. Christopher is saying to tone it down. He says that dark colors age a woman. Hmmm....I just love, love, love red lipstick. But, after I put on a light shade, I swear I could almost feel the years lift from my face."

Okay, first, is that the author himself who left a comment on your blog?! Cool!

Second, I've heard the same about dark lip color on women "of a certain age" -- nd I'm right there with you, sister. I love my dark brick reds ...

BUT I note that the few times I've chosen to wear lighter lip color, the better I look in photos. I'm assuming it looks better in real life, too, though I can't see it quite that way myself yet. I always figured I'm pale, so I need COLOR.

But thanks to you and Christopher, this morning I consciously toned it down ... and it might actually give me a slightly softer, younger look.

You go, girl!