Follow me.......





Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Just in time for summer.......

Are you dreaming of just-out-of-the-garden tomatoes, fresh-picked basil and the dreamy things you can do with them?
Yeah, me too.

That's why I wanted to rush this amazing recipe to you!
This way, you'll have it all ready when your first red tomato is on the vine and your crop of basil is lush and bountiful......
Anticipation is half the fun.

It tastes all the more wonderful with a crisp and lively Pinot Grigio!
You can take my word on that.....

And, this recipe is so fantastic (and Lapband friendly!) that you might even want to race out to the grocery store before dinner tonight to buy the ingredients!
(that's what I did the other day..... but I can't wait to make them with fresh-from-my-garden tomatoes and basil)
And, I'm having leftovers tonight!

Baked Ricotta Stuffed Tomatoes:

I adapted this from The Proud Italian Cook's recipe posting....
(can you tell that I just love her blog and her recipes?)
  • 6 tomatoes, cut in half (I used roma tomatoes)
  • 2 cups of ricotta cheese
  • big handful romano & parmesean cheese mixture
  • 10-15 fresh basil leaves, julienned then chopped to smithereens
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Italian style panko crumbs
Cut your tomatoes in half and scoop out the pulp and seeds with a spoon. Season each tomato cavity with sea salt then turn the tomato halves upside down on paper towels to drain out the moisture (about 1/2 hour)
Mix the ricotta cheese, romano & parm cheeses, fresh chopped basil, minced garlic, oregano, sea salt and pepper to taste. Mix filling and taste it---add more seasoning if you think it's needed. I added more cheese and black pepper! Spoon your tomato halves with the ricotta mixture. Pour your panko crumbs in a small bowl, dip the ricotta filled tomatoes in the panko crumbs then place on a tin foil lined baking sheet that has been coated with olive oil. Drizzle the tops of each tomato with olive oil.
Bake on 400 for about 25 minutes. Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.

Oh, and by the way....I paired this recipe with some darling bay scallops quickly simmered in butter and garlic, then topped them with a dusting of parmesean cheese and chopped fresh parsley before putting them under the broiler for a few seconds.....
I added a splash of my Pinot Grigio during the broiler phase..... but just a splash

Bon Apetito!!

6 comments:

Jody V said...

I'm rushing out to the store lunchtime Judi!! Sounds wonderful. I did look it up yesterday. The only ingredient I don't need is the Pinot Grigio ;-).

Thanks for sharing this!
Jody

Theresa said...

Sounds divine! In the summer, Pinot Grigio and I go hand in hand.

Eileen, Founder, Organizer, Mayor and Chief Cook And Bottle Washer of the Anger Management Girls. said...

Oh man......This sounds sooooo good. I stopped at Labriola's Italian store in Aspinwall yesterday so I have most ingredients. I just need italian panko bread crumbs.(who knew such a thing existed!)

Eileen, Founder, Organizer, Mayor and Chief Cook And Bottle Washer of the Anger Management Girls. said...

One more comment. I am filing this with my Judi Hot Sausage receipe. (Which is the only one I use)

Eileen, Founder, Organizer, Mayor and Chief Cook And Bottle Washer of the Anger Management Girls. said...

One more thing and I promise I'll leave you alone.
Did you ever think of doing a cookbook? You could sell it with proceeds going to lap band reciepients or something.
It would be a big help to people new to lapband as I'm sure they are trying to figure out what they can and can't handle. You could rate receipes on a scale of 1-5 lapband capability. Endless possibilities!

Nella said...

Looks delish! Will have to try it out! Thanks for posting!