Follow me.......





Wednesday, December 26, 2007

December 26-ing in 2007.........


We have this tradition.......on December 26, amid all the Santa loot that is strewn about the living room, we lay around in our pajamas, eat non -Christmas foods (like take out hamburgers, french fries and pizza), much on popcorn, play a game and watch movies. It's one of those traditions that I probably instituted many years ago to disguise the fact that I was completely exhausted, I didn't feel like cleaning up the house, I did not want to cook, none of my clothes fit me and I needed to keep my family entertained. So, my guess is that one December 26 led to another December 26 and then all of a sudden....there you go, a justifiable excuse emerged. I do not clean up, I do not get dressed, and I do not cook. Just like turkey at Thanksgiving, it's a tradition. As time went on, I've embellished the tradition (I'm an embellisher from waaaay back). For instance, everyone gets new pajamas just for December 26, I buy a new game (this year it's "Scene It-Music Edition") and I stock pile a few movies for everyone to pick from. Quite honestly, the tradition has served me well over the years. I expect that this year will be no different. Now that the kids are older and busier, the idea of having them spend an entire day with us is wonderful. And, after all the shopping and wrapping and cooking and cleaning and merry making.....well.....I am ready for a little bit of doing nothing. Plus, a day like this is just plain rare. If I could turn off all the phones and beepers and computers, that would take the day up another notch. But, I'll settle for crossing my fingers that no one will call, there will be no emergencies that need to be dealt with and that the competition of the game, the intensity of the movies and the laziness that wearing pajamas promotes will keep everyone away from the lure of text messaging, emailing, IMing and all other forms of communicating with the outside world. For today....it's all about our little world---inside our walls, with all the contents of a bountiful Christmas laying about---where a big bag filled with wrappings and bows decorates the living room, a pile of cleaned (but yet to be put away) Christmas dishes dresses up the dining room table and baskets and platters filled with cookies and treats from friends and family adorn the kitchen counter. Yes, the house is sufficiently a mess, I have my new leopard print jammies on, I have not planned one meal, I have take out menus within easy reach and my body and my mind are weary. I'm ready...........

No comments: