Follow me.......





Friday, September 26, 2014

I'm HUNGRY! RIGHT?





Do I even know what hunger feels like? 


In my never-ending quest to psycho-analyze myself and figure myself out and put myself on the path to a joyful self awareness,  I sometimes find that the most ordinary word sets me off on a journey of exploration that consumes much more time than it really should!   Case-in-point---over the years, I spent hours and hours motivated to explore my inner being by words like joy, soul, time, dwell, nice, fear, possibility....to name a few.   I see a word, I hear a word--and I could be a word that I've seen or heard a million trillion times before--and poof, I am tossing it around in my head and I am thinking on it and processing it.....yep....that's what I do.  You heard it here folks.  I have a strange attachment to words....

When we were on vacation, the word HUNGRY became that word....
"Are you hungry?"  was a question that was asked at least 3 times a day.
"What are you hungry for?"   was another popular question. 
"OMG! I AM SO HUNGRY" was another often spoken phrase.  

I get it.....we were on vacation.....eating out is definitely an important piece of our vacations.  So, of course, we talked about going out to eat--choosing restaurants, did we want to dress up? go casual?.... what did we want to eat?...etc.. 
But, we often masked our desire to eat by using the word HUNGRY.  
As if we wanted to hide our desire to JUST EAT for pure enjoyment by making it sound as if it were more of a physical need......
Is that what years of my dieting-guilt-overeating-guilt-obesity-shame-guilt trap has done to us?
Are we so embarrassed by the fact that we enjoy food that we convince ourselves that we are HUNGRY? 
This revelation and these questions stayed with me and made me wake up and take notice to how deep, how long lasting and how very emotional my relationship with my weight and eating is.....

 



 

FOOD FOR THOUGHT......




No comments: