Follow me.......





Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sweet morning has broken.......

With the threat of snow flurries.......in October?

It's unusually cold here in my little suburban hamlet. But,no matter....I'm doing a little two-step and a few fancy twirls and a couple of girly pirouettes around my office and my kitchen. Me---all decked out in my early morning walking gear with my clunky walking shoes and my oversized hoodie and my hair askew....oh what I sight I am. So, why am I prancing around my house before the sun has even peeked out? It's all because of my sweet spot....

...time to celebrate Judi-style

Before you call Google and have my blog X-rated....let me explain...about the sweet spot thing (I'm pretty sure you get it about the buying shoes thing...). For the past week or so, I've found myself unable to eat as much as I was able to eat (volume-wise)throughout my Lapband journey. Not that I was able to eat a ton from day one until now. But, there were times when I was surprised as to how much I could eat these past 14 months. As evidenced from my weightloss, I was definitely eating less than I ever was in my pre-Lapbanded life. And, being the good Lapbander that I am, I really worked hard these past months at eating good, nutritious and protein packed food. Since August of 2007, I could mostly eat what I wanted (minus the pasta and bread)....just less of it. Most times I did choose good food. When I made my deal with the Lapband gods, I promised to really make this work and so that's what I did. And, it worked. I could not have done it without my Lapband....no way, no how.

Now, things are different. Not different in a huge way....just different. It's like my body and my mind have all caught up with one another. Although, to be honest....I didn't know they weren't in sync...

For the past week or so....it's seems like my band has reached a perfect restriction. Medically speaking....I can't explain why. In the world of Lapbanders...this is called "the sweet spot". Everyone arrives at this place at different times. Anytime you ask a Lapbander who has garnered sweet spot status, what it feels like or ask how you will know when you've reached it--you will be told that you will just know. Now I know what they mean. In fact, if I could describe it, I would do it this way--it's a state of mind as well as a state of being. Maybe that's why it took me so long....

As I said---I have no explanation as to why or how this all happened within the past week. It's not like I just had my band adjusted. That happened a few weeks ago. Even though I've been religious about my fill appointments and have followed the advice of my doctor with regard to fills, it has taken this long to get to this point. Although...let me be clear...I could always eat less even before I got to my sweet spot. I don't want to discourage anyone who is thinking of getting a Lapband or is already Lapbanded by leading them to believe that it takes this long to get to this "magical" point. It's just another part of the journey.....

Right now...I can eat a very small amount...a very small amount...and be completely satisfied---mind, body and soul. I can eat whatever I want and be done with it. What do they say....the first 3 bites are usually the best anyhow. Well, give me 3 bites of anything....anything at all. I can eat it and I don't want more. So, it's all good! If the first 3 bites are the best then damn it, I'm not missing a thing...right? Trust me--I'm not starving or eating crumbs by any means. I'm eating healthy and I'm eating enough protein. And, I'm not gagging or vomitting or anything like that. I'm just stopping when my body says "STOP". Stopping because I've had enough. I'm not trying to tuck in one more bite or push my Lapband to see just how much it will take. I'm not testing it. I'm accepting it. Very adult-like of me....don't you think?

Then there's the head stuff....I also just realized that my mind is not all-a-flutter about holiday foods and holiday weight gain. I want to cook all the typical, traditional foods and plan all the menus and look for new recipes but I'm not drooling and fantasizing about eating them. Nor am I miserable about the possible weight gain that typically goes along with the holidays. And, I'm not worrying about that awful feeling of my clothes feeling tight because I stuffed myself non-stop for over a month! And, I'm not stressing over having to deal with buffet tables and parties and huge displays of beautiful food. And I'm not trying to convince myself that "it's okay to overeat on holidays..". I'm just doing what I do. At my sweet spot.

Yes, it's a new day in Judiland. An unusual one too. It's a cold, dark, damp Tuesday morning with the threat of snow in October. But, a light bulb went off in my head and it's saying....this is your sweet spot Judi, THIS is what they have been talking about! I feel it. And, I know it.
Sweet Judi Blue Eyes....that's me. With a Lapband, of course.....

3 comments:

Jody V said...

Congratulations Judi!!

I can't wait to hit mine. I am not there yet but have been told the same thing that I will know when I am. I am battling the head thing big time. I know I am close to my sweet spot. Thanks for all the support and advice!! Again, so glad to hear you hit your sweet spot!

Jody

Kathy said...

Good for you Judi. I am close to mine but not quite there yet I think. The doctor said I was close and I have days where I can hardly eat anything and the last few I ate more than I have been able to eat so I don't think I am there. I am glad you are and look forward to only eating 3 bites and being done and satisfied. Ah, sweet spot satiety. Someday soon I hope.

Ashley said...

THAT IS SOOO AWESOME THAT YOU FEEL LIKE THAT. IT TAKES A LOT OF STRENGTH TO BE ABLE TO BATTLE THROUGH ALL THOSE EMOTIONS AND TEMPTATIONS AND COME OUT A WINNER!!!

CONGRATS AND LUV YA
ASHLEY