Follow me.......





Saturday, January 5, 2013

How could I be thinking about FOOD?

Yes, it's 5 days into the New Year and I've spent the greater part of the past 8 weeks gathering recipes, planning menus, cooking lots of food and feeding lots of people.   I've roasted, grilled, fried, sauteed, braised, broasted, boiled, broiled and blanched every meat, grain, veggie and starch on the planet.   And, right here on this blog, I've declared myself a total food waster after clearing the fridge and the freezer and the pantry.  Plus, let's not forget that I am holiday weary and have made no bones about the fact that I am in a cranky phase.  And, I *think* I might have said I'm sick to death of food.....if I didn't say it....I certainly thought it. 
So, what's the deal?
Why in the hell am I researching recipes and planning menus?
Have I completely lost my mind? 

Here's what happened.......
Sometime around the middle of the summer, my friend the caterer told me that she was thinking of doing some standard menu packages in the new year instead of just having her clients pick and choose from her long list of food offerings.  She wanted to simplify things a little bit plus she was having some inventory issues with spices and staples and serving pieces.  And, she wanted to create a brand or an image for herself to set her apart from the other caterers in the area. She wanted to pare down her selections and have only a few signature dishes and menus.   I thought it was a great idea and told her that I would love to help her come up with  the menus and decide what to keep and what not to keep.
Yeah, I said I would love to help her come up with the menus.
Ah-ha, yep, I said that.....
Now, first I must tell you that although I think she is an amazing caterer and even a more amazing friend, I have never used her catering services.  In fact, I think I may have cooked more food for her than she has ever cooked for me.  Silly, I know.  But, we sort of came to that agreement several years ago when she started her business.  Since it's been booming ever since day one, I have never felt the need to give her more business.  A fact I am sure she appreciates.    On occasion---when she has been in  a bind--I have helped her with an event either in the kitchen or serving.  It's back-breaking, exhaustive work.....I am not sure how she even does it.
I am telling you all of that as a way of explaining why I had no idea just how many foods she had on her list of offerings.    Can you say 65 different salads, 118 appetizers, 81 main dishes, 92 side dishes and a whopping 142 desserts? 
Yeah, I know.
No wonder she wanted to simplify!
Anyway, the time has come that I have to make good on my offer to help her come up with menus.
That's why I am thinking about food......once again.


1 comment:

speck said...

Sometimes the nicest jester create us the biggest headaches! lol