Follow me.......





Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Drumroll please.....THE RETURN OF TASTY TUESDAY RECIPE EXCHANGE!

Yes, I know "tastey" is spelled wrong on Santa's but.  Hell, it's been spelled wrong for 7 years...why fix it now? 




THE SEVENTH ANNUAL TASTY RECIPE EXCHANGE BEGINS NOW.....

GET READY, GET SET.....START  YOUR OVENS!!!
Sorry that I'm a week late in getting us started! 
Welcome back Tasty Tuesday Recipe Exchange Fans!
I am so happy you are back for more recipe sharing!
And, a big HELLO THERE  to new Tasty Tuesday Recipe Exchange readers!
I am excited you are joining us.
I promise all of you 4 Tuesdays of  taste tested recipes that will surely make you the star of the holidays......!  I try not to repeat recipes from previous years or ones that I may have posted throughout the year.  But, I can't promise that for certain!  Some recipes are just worth repeating.....
Thankfully, it's been another year of good eating here in Judiland.
So, I'm armed with an arsenal of taste tested and fabulous recipes!
For those of you who are Tasty Tuesday veterans.....you know the drill.
For those of you new to the drill---here's how it goes:
Beginning today and each Tuesday in December I share a recipe or recipes from my ginormus pile of tasted and tested holiday-worthy recipes.   And, I ask you to do the same.....share a recipe in the comments section of the posting. It's a great way to help each other get ready for all the kitchen olympics that go on this time of the year and the perfect way to make you the FOODIE STAR of your holidays!
So, dig out your best recipes to share!  

Let's start out this season of recipe-sharing with a recipe that I made this past summer and then again over the Thanksgiving holidays.  It might be one of my most requested recipes of the year!  People love mushrooms....who knew?

Marsala-Dijon Mushrooms
(this version serves about 15 people as a side dish)
This recipe is super yummy.  There is a real richness to the sauce. I am not exactly sure how I came up with this recipe but I do recall that the first time I served it was way back in the summer.  At that time, I paired it with steaks on the grill and baked potatoes.  Over Thanksgiving, I served it along side the turkey and all the trimmings. It was equally adored both times.  Our vegetarian Thanksgiving guests really loved it.....

-5 lbs of mushrooms--cleaned and sliced thick.....I used a combo of baby bella, shitake and white
-1 1/2 sticks salted butter
-swirl of olive oil
-1 small onion--diced small
-handful of  coarsley chopped or juilliened) rosemary, sage or basil (rosemary is great for summer, sage is great for fall or winter and basil is great anytime)
-handful of Italian parsley
-4 cloves of garlic...smashed
-1/2 cup marsala wine (you might want to add more at the end, before serving)
-2 heaping tablespoons of dijon mustard
-Salt, pepper to taste

 In a large saute pan....on medium heat
-Saute onion, garlic in butter and olive oil (about 3-5 minutes)
-Add dijon mustard and stir well--until you have a "gravy-like" consistency
-Add mushrooms in small batches, stirring as you go....coating with liquid
-Once all the mushrooms have been added and reduced a bit, add the wine....stir well
-Add herbs
-Reduce heat to simmer, cover and let simmer for 5-8 minutes
Can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving
Add additional wine if needed
Toss with additional parsley is desired


This second recipe is one that I worked hard to recreate after having it at RPM in Chicago.   As a rabid polenta fan, I am always beyond thrilled when I see it on the menu.  This polenta did NOT disappoint.   It was probably the best version of soft polenta I have ever, ever had. I know you think you heard me say this before about several other polenta recipes but this time, I mean it!   From the moment this polenta hit my taste buds, I was on a mission to make my own version and let me tell you....I came pretty darn close.  If you love polenta as much as I love polenta, you will be doing back flips over this rendition of this godly food.  And, for those of you who don't have a penchant for polenta, I challenge you to make this and eat it and then tell me that it's not one of your top favorite foodie loves of the year! 

Polenta with Marscapone

This recipe can be served on it's own or alongside any main course. It serves 4 people as a main course or 6-8 as a side.   I tinkered with several recipes from so many different sources online that I can't really give credit where credit is due for this one. Let's just say it's the marriage of many recipes.  Please be warned that making polenta is a labor of love...there's lots of stirring involved!!!  You'll need this extra exercise.....butter and heavy cream warning!!! 
  • 8 cups  chicken broth 
  • 1 cup of heavy cream
  • 2.5 cups  Italian polenta(I purchase mine at a local Italian deli but there are good ones on the market)
  •  1 stick of salted butter, cut into cubes 
  •  3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 1 cup  mascarpone cheese
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 4 basil leaves cut into strips

In a 4-quart (4-l) soup pot over high heat, bring the broth and cream to a boil. While stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, add the polenta in a thin, steady stream until incorporated, then continue stirring to prevent lumps from forming. Reduce the heat to medium-low so the mixture bubbles occasionally. Cook, stirring and scraping the bottom and sides of the pan, until the polenta is thick and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the butter a few cubes at a time, then stir in the Parmigiano-Reggiano and mascarpone cheeses. Season the polenta with salt and pepper. Divide the polenta among warmed bowls, sprinkle with more grated cheese and a few strips of fresh basil and serve immediately.

Happy Cooking!!!  

1 comment:

Jody V said...

I always loved when we did this! I'm going to look through my stuff tomorrow.